Incubation Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a first time breeder and would appreciate some input on my incubation situation. I think it's working but a bit nervous as it's not a regular incubator.
I got my hovabator some time ago, and it has disappeared under boxes somewhere in the garage, unopened. My beardie girl surprised me with 14 healthy eggs and I am incubating them on peat moss/sand mixture in a 10 gallon tank, eggs on top of the substrate and inside sterilite tub with the same peat/sand bedding, mix kept at proper humidity and temps. There is a screen top, and the heat source is a 75 watt bulb on the screen which is keeping the temps right at 84 degrees F at the site of the eggies.
So far five days in, eggs are plump and look fine according to all I've read.
Anybody have a suggestion as to whether they think this will work okay, or should I do something differently?
Thanks in advance!
Kim

MoonstoneKK

Original Poster
I should add that only six of the eggs were firm when I moved them (yes I know not to turn them) with the others kind of collapsed looking, and they are all plumped up now. They ARE looking a little tiny bit yellow compared to when first laid. Normal?
Kim

spyder79

Extreme Poster
no not enough humidity will cause problems. Yellowing is normally a sign of infertile eggs or insufficient calcium during the formation of the eggs. I take it from your post this is a makeshift incubator? How are you monitoring the humidity? And who told you peatmoss was a good substrate for dragon eggs. I have heard it used with gex but never dragons. Most use perlite or vermiculite with dragon eggs as it is resistant to mold and holds moisture well.

MoonstoneKK

Original Poster
Ok so now my question is do I dare carefully remove the eggs and re-set the substrate to perlite? I think I can do it gently.
The local stores were out of perlite/vermiculite and I needed to get these eggs bedded down quick. As to calcium, she should have been ok as I dust my crix daily. We'll see....
Thanks!!
Kim

MoonstoneKK

Original Poster
Oh I have a hygrometer in an exact same sterilite container next to the eggs in the same stuff. Had it in with them for a day not touching, and it read ok.
Not being fertile might not be a surprise, first clutch on this girl.
Hygro reads about 70%, correct?
Learning along here.

MoonstoneKK

Original Poster
Got my hovabator and waiting for it to settle in on temps now. Safe to transfer the eggs from the home-made rig at 12 days or risky??? Input appreciated.
Thanks!
Kim

MoonstoneKK

Original Poster
The hovabator wants to stay around 88, having trouble lowering it with the screw. They've been more around 84 in the homemade rig.
ALSO am I supposed to dampen the hatch-rite a bit or put the eggs in as it is? Thanks so much!
K

spyder79

Extreme Poster
if you can squeeze a handful of it and only produce a drop or two its fine. If you cant produce a single drop add a bit of water.

As far as the temp 88 is too hot. they need low 80s the highest i have ever incubated was 86 i know 2 degrees doesnt seem like much but it is in the incubation process.

MoonstoneKK

Original Poster
Yes ok will keep trying to get the hovabator settled in at a better temp, it seems to want to run hot at the moment, maybe cause it's new...
THX

spyder79

Extreme Poster
it can take quite a few turns to get it to lower as well. It takes more than a few twists to tweak it to where you want it.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
now make sure you let it sit for a hour or so before you place eggs in it. make sure you fine tuned the temp control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom