Increased energy after brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Alright, so my girl was brumating most of October and the first half of November. Shed wake up every other week to eat and bask for a few days before going back in her hide and sleeping again. Shes been awake for a few weeks now so I assume shes done, but shes been going nutso. She will run back and forth in her tank for an hour and smash her nose into the glass, glass surf for a bit, jump from one hammock to her tree to the other hammock, and when I had her out earlier she started climbing the cables under my computer desk. Shell stop to rest for about 10 minutes then start going again. Shes eating normally and her temps are fine, the only other thing of note is instead of one large poop once a week or every other week like she used to, shes now having smaller bowel movements once a day it seems. It's like shes reverted back to her hyperactive baby self (shes a year and a half, btw). Even as I typed this she climbed up to the top of her tree and started bobbing at me.
Anyone else notice this increased energy after brumation? Is it normal? And when will she calm down. XD
Shes just lucky I'm out sick from work right now so I can let her out of her tank every now and then.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
This is common for my dragon too. He goes absolutely bonkers for a couple of months after vacation. Darts from room to room, surfs on the walls of the house, generally just runs circuits around the house and head bobs at random things. It's just a hormone overload and it subsides after a while. I've also noticed that he loses a bit of weight during this time due to having decreased appetite and increased activity. This is also temporary and he puts the weight back on after his appetite picks up again when his energy levels return to normal. You are likely seeing a similar pattern, so that's what I suggest looking out for.

Yep. Totally normal. Brumation is what gets a bearded dragon ready to breed. When they wake up they are very active and ready to go. They usually calm down a few weeks to a month after waking up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom