Incest Bearded Dragons, what should I do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iggys

Let's start out from the beginning. I bought my 2 beardies from a girl who's bearded dragons had babys. She selected the ones she thought were female (ofcourse she couldn't be 100 % sure since they were 5 weeks old). I chose Viper and Spyro then. I have them housed together ever since, because I thought they were both female and sisters at that. And they never had any fights or problems. They are 1+ year old now and Viper recently lay eggs. It was a stressful moment, and we were very confused. So Spyro was a male? But no I reckoned the eggs were infertile and after checking I was pretty sure they were (I buried them) I tried gendering Spyro again, but it was pretty difficult to see. I wasn't 100% sure but I still thought she was female. After feeding Viper alot of grasshoppers with calcium and she regained her health, everything went normal again. Untill this morning, when I saw them mating. We were shocked, but I was happy and excited because last time I was pretty dissapointed that the eggs were infertile. Untill my friend reminded me of the fact that they are brother and sister. How could I have forgotten that small but very important fact?! I know I should seperate them, I do. But I really don't have the money or space to buy another terrarium. I really do not want to give one of them away. I really care about them. I also know it can be stressful for Viper (the female) and it's all so much worse because they're siblings. But can two females have sex? I know it's probably not the case but a girl can hope. Also exactly how bad is inbreeding really? Everybody I talk to says "It's pretty normal for animals, they do it all the time" but they aren't experienced with reptiles and online I read that I should indeed seperate them immediately and that inbreeding is in fact very bad for beardies. This is all so ****ed up :/ I really don't know what to do. Ps. I feel so guilty because now there's actually a chance that the eggs were fertile or maybe 1 or 2, I feel like a lizard killer ? But maybe it was for the best since they would be born from incest..

kornel351

Hatchling Member
If u don't have the money then I suggest u find a next alternative to sperate them because chances are one of them is a male and u won't want to have more beardies to depend on you which will probably require a next enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom