*IMPORTANT* The dangers of drowning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm writing this more for the newer beardy owners and those that are less experienced. Let's get one thing out of the way, do not, under any circumstances, ever NEVER leave a beardy alone in a sink or bathtub while bathing, not even for a second. Baby beardys especially but older ones have a risk of drowning as well. While yes, they can inhale air in order to float, they still need to breath and to my knowledge they cant hold that breath in forever. Drowning is a serious risk that can happen especially if you're inexperienced in beardys. If your beardy has drowned, then open his mouth to clear it of any water, if he isn't breathing, then massage his chest and blow into his nose to push air into his lungs. If this all fails then it's too late.

86034-2507412909.jpg

Now for a bit of my story. I first got my dear little Red from a friend, and I only knew the minimal amount of things about beardys to take care of one. I went to give her a bath when she was around 6 months old and left her in the bath to wash the few dishes in the sink. Big mistake, as when I came back I found her dead, drowned. She's only alive because I did what I did, massaging her chest and opening her mouth forcibly to drain the water. I saved her, but at a cost. She is doing fine for her conditions but is a handful as she will climb up her rock, her hand will get stuck in her beard (Similar to the image above) and she'll tip over on her back, unable to get up. She has to be checked on by my guardians when I'm at school due to this. She rarely eats on her own, has problems moving, breathing, and swimming but she's alive and well. Now I have another beardy who I am not going to let end up like Reddy. This is a cautionary tale, don't for any reason leave your lizard alone while bathing, as it will lead to death. Even if you save him, he'll have many problems in life after this.

86034-6237749504.jpg

Red is now a year and 10 months old, and is doing well despite everything that has happened.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Thanks Spice, it is a good warning because as you said it can happen quickly. As owners we can also let our guard down if wev'e done something many times [ in this case leave the room for a minute or so} but it only takes one time for an accident to happen. Years ago a breeder I know had a group of hatchlings in a tub, left for a brief time + when she came back in the room one of the hatchlings was drowned in very shallow water. So yes, be very careful with bathing. I only bathe mine usually to get them clean or aid in shedding once in a great while. All mine get hydrated with a spray bottle from the time they emerged from the egg.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If the water is deeper than the body fringe (of spikes) , it's too deep.

Never ever leave your beardie to fend for himself in the bath.

I to rarely bath my beardies, Peppa , nearly 18 months old had her very first bath a week or so ago because she was impacted (no poos for 13 days, the bath did the trick).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a very valuable story, as so many do bathe their dragons. I think a lot of people get complacent & not pay as close of attention as they should.
Performing CPR is very effective if done immediately. I am glad you were able to save your Red, it sounds like she is very special, bless her. You have done great with her & it looks like she is very pampered & lives life to the fullest. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom