impacted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epic

Juvie Member
I fed Houdini a large hornworm, it was 4" and plump. Houdini is 18", only 8 months so he's not filled out. Houdini regularly pooped every morning around 10am, never missed a day. The day after that hornworm, Houdini didn't poop. He ate regularly tho. He pooped the next morning. He continued to eat normally for 3 days, only pooing two of those days. Then, out of no where he stops eating crickets. I still fed him his usual 40 pheonix worms in the morning for 2 days, but stopped because he wasn't eating his crickets at all. I fed him more worms than usual the days leading up to this, so I figured he was spoiled on the worms. It has now been 7 days of him not eating crickets, except for one feeding 4 days ago. He has not had his pheonix worms since day 2 of stubborness. He still eats a large dish of greens everyday. Any time I happen to move the worms to clean, and he can see them he gets really excited. I KNOW he wants worms, there's no question about that. He has been going poop everyday the last 5 days, but sometimes it's not until the late afternoon. So, he's eating greens normally, and dreams about worms all day, but he won't have ANYTHING to do with the crickets. His poops are a lot smaller, but it's most likely because he's only eating greens. Could he just be tired of crickets and want roaches instead? I haven't tried roaches, but I'm going to buy some Monday to try. He usually would eat 75-100 crickets, along with 40-50 pheonix worms, 15 silkworms a day, and 5 butters every other day.

My concerns:
He hasn't had calcium w/ D3 since he stopped eating crix, except for the one feeding he did eat.
Even tho he's pooping, could he be impacted? I've been giving him 1-2 baths everyday since that large hornworm.

How old is your dragon? 8 months
How long is your dragon? 18 inches
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 48"x16x16
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? non-adhesive shelf liner
Do you use UVB lights? yes, a 48" reptisun 10.0
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? see above
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? see above
How old is your UVB bulb? 4 months
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? 6-7 inches
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? yes, 100 watt flood light
What are the basking temps? 102-110
What is the cool side temp? 76-80
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? digi with a probe, and a digi laser one
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? multiple spots directly on the basking rock
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? no
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. already posted
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? typically, p.w.'s at 9:30, crix at 11:30-12, crix again at 2:30, silkworms at 5:00, crix at 7:00
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? yes, the green cubes for crix, and a water dish, chow for the silkies
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? calcium M-F, vitamin saturday and sunday, and they are the correct supplements
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? since this started, he's pooped 3 out of 5 days, smaller than normal. he used to poop 1-2 times a day
Do you bath your dragon? How often? yes, typically every other day
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? yes, but not regularly. maybe several times a week
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? no way

hockeyballz30

Sub-Adult Member
i definantly am a strong advocate of roaches. I have not used crickets in 2 years due to die offs, escapees, parasites. They were just costing me to much....Roaches are hardy through a cold winter, and love the warm summers and will breed more. Dragons are like us, even though i notice you have offered variety. Sometimes they get sick of the same majority food all the time. I mix it up with supers, hornworms, zebra worms, butterworms every once in awhile. My roach colony is currently breeding so i use supers as a staple, but already they are getting bored of them. They do however love the zebra worms which are basically a tougher silkworm that has emerged in the feeder business now. I also suggest getting a Mercury Vapor Bulb over the Powersun. IMO the MVB is a better light. http://www.reptileuv.com. You can read everything on that site. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom