I'm so sick of petstore care quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieNewbie15

Hatchling Member
Agreed. Unfortunately more often than not employees at pet stores know how to take care of cats, dogs and maybe a hamster. One of the local pet stores near my house has ONE employee who actually knows stuff. He breeds leopard geckos and was SO helpful when I got my first bearded dragon. He told me that he is usually the one who takes care of the reptiles at the store, and he does the best with what he is given. He even admitted to me once that the reptiles weren't in the best shape. Another local pet store is run by a bunch of foreigners. I went in to the store and saw an adult bearded dragon in a tank with only sand and one rock. I wonder where the food and water dishes were? There was also another tank with three babies that couldn't have been any more than 4" long. All were quite skinny. Next time I go in there someone is going to get an ear full... :evil:

TheDeac

Hatchling Member
ziggy23":3gdoxziu said:
ROFL. He'd probably go into shock if he seen mine.

haha mine too my lil guys in a big 4x3x2 =P and hes only a foot long i have ONE out of the TEN local petstores small or large that if i was a breeder id have NO problem selling too they had a few rookie mistakes, ex: coil uvb bulb and a wood substrate u use for snakes and feeding but that was about it, i went in last week and voiced my concern and explained the proper stuff that would work (this is a small shop and had one full grown beardie and 5 babies bout 7weeks old) when i left they thanked me i went today to get crix (bc they are cheaper than petsmart =P) and they had made the changed and even put each baby in its OWN VIV no smaller than 20gal custom made they welcomed me and thanked me as soon as i walked in and i got the crix for free =P. me and my mother have been talking about opening our own petstore were we would make a test that the employees had to take b4 they could be hired and then they would have a choice if they thought the person could take proper care of

sobotta

Hatchling Member
When my husband and I went to Petco to look at beardies I asked the "reptile" worker if I could look at one....you know what he said? "sure, ill open the tank but im not touching them, reptiles scare me!" Really?!?! What was he doing working in a pet store that has reptiles? He opened the tank and walked away. I couldn't believe it. Thankfully most of the people who work at the Petsmart in our area has beardies so they know what they are doing!

Dragoon

Sub-Adult Member
sobotta":2p8fx9jp said:
When my husband and I went to Petco to look at beardies I asked the "reptile" worker if I could look at one....you know what he said? "sure, ill open the tank but im not touching them, reptiles scare me!" Really?!?! What was he doing working in a pet store that has reptiles? He opened the tank and walked away. I couldn't believe it. Thankfully most of the people who work at the Petsmart in our area has beardies so they know what they are doing!

Real smart of that guy to walk away...

So did you take some? :lol:

Monkey

Juvie Member
Only a ten gallon tank hu? Well in Sweden basic rule of thumb for lizards and bigger reptiles is the enclosure has to be three times their lenght for comfortability.
The new one that I will be getting Herculette here next week (Can't wait) is so big that I wont be able to fit it in the livingroom until we get the bedroom in order. I dont have exact measurements (bought it used from a reptile store 300) and its 4.5 foot long, at lleast 3 foot high and 3 foot wide, it's HUGE, it's a beardie mansion. Some people *sighs*

Nikki14

went into a petco the other day with the boyfriend to get some feeders on our way home and as always cant help to look at the babies they have (even though I know it'll just make me mad). they had two vivs of baby beardies, one viv had 1dead baby in it and the other had two. and all were just skin and bones! none were active at all, it was so sad. we also stopped by the small family owned shop where we got Buster just to check out what they had and they had three adult males in a 20gallon viv and two adult females in another 20 gallon. all of which again just looked unhealthy. the son who works at that shop was talking to us and he just couldnt understand why they werent selling... :| so my boyfriend (fed up at this point) yelled at him that maybe it had something to do with the pathetic conditions at how they keep them.

truly is sad

Monkey

Juvie Member
Well that should be something the stores should think off,I am in training asst manager for my 7-11 and we get it BONKED into our heads, presentation, presentation, presentation. We are one of them stores that are between 90-95 on the cleanilenss scale out of a 100. And guess who is one of the people running her behind off to keep it that way. I would not buy a beardie cause it's pretty, god knows you can get prettier morhps that have been better taken care of than you can get in the petstore for pretty much the same price. If they presented their animals better, I thikn they'd sell more so it would be out of their OWN interest to set up an appropiate enclosure. Or so you'd think.. ah well...

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
We have a local pet store ner me that I thought was really good. Clean cages(cleaned daily) well fed aniamls(or so I thought)etc......Then one day,shortly after getting my second beardie,I went in to get crickets for him and they showed me 2 tiny baby beardies,look what we got to sell,at first things seemed ok,after about 3 weeks I went back to this store and was almost dragged back to the reptile room,please tell us what we are doing wrong one of our beardies has knots on his legs. I looked and told them these babies really need UVB lighting and proper temps(I had explained about the UVB on my previous visit) I was told that the owner would not let them put UVB lights on the babies. I went right to the owner and told her "You need to put UVB lights on these beardies,those knots are not good and they could develope MBD without UVB lighting. A few weeks later I went back and the little fella was wrose they asked me to bring him home and try to get him better. Food,lighting,etc was given to me and I tried my best,unfortunately the little dragon passed away. One of the girls who work there had bought this ones sibling and taken him to the vet and had to have him put to sleep,both dragons suffered froma severe case of MBD and it was too late for them...........

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
I was at petco the other day which I vaguely regret, and of course looked at the baby dragons, no heat bulb, on bark chips and they were newly hatched tiny. I said to my mom (in a voice that carried quite well) "wow I wonder if they realize they're killing these dragons and I pity anyone who buys one from here". There was a woman with a little girl looking at them and she asked what they were doing wrong so I pointed every mistake out, she said she'd buy elsewhere because she didn't want a sick or dying animal :twisted: I know at least 2 employees heard the discussion and I hope they cared at least a little bit and payed attention.

sobotta

Hatchling Member
Dragoon":28tmjgdy said:
sobotta":28tmjgdy said:

Real smart of that guy to walk away...

So did you take some? :lol:

No, we just bought the one. We werent sure how the two would get along so we just wanted to see first. I would have loved to tho.

ocpetd

I don't get why customers/petlovers spend so much time complaining about the quality and cleanliness of a pet store on these forum boards. If you disagree with how the store you've visited keeps their animals, the conditions of their habitats, etc etc, then COMPLAIN TO CORPORATE.

Customers don't seem to understand that complaining to associates does nothing but aggravate them, and complaining to store managers does nothing except make them b!tch at the associates (especially the ones that are smart and work hard). CORPORATE is DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE for what you see in those stores. They hire nimwits because nimwits are eager to accept bare minimum wage. If they're lucky, they'll get a good employee who has a fully functioning brain and uses it, though that good employee most likely will 1. be fired for something stupid (but really, for workplace politics, gossip, or competition jealousy, etc) or 2. leave that hellhole (and feel bad for quitting, but cannot take the stress of dealing with the poor conditions kept). So, stores are left with the stupid brainless employees that will give you a 2 gallon tank and say that it will house a chinese water dragon for the rest of its life. And also, just so you guys know, corporate doesn't have any kind of GOOD training lesson plan for the pet care associates. The training I received was all sales-related, or feeding a certain animal a certain store-use (of course a company brand) product. We are left on our own to either take initiative and learn on our own because we truly do care, or learn from experience. Corporate doesn't train us to deal with customers who actually know a thing or two about whatever animal they're buying. They train us to entice the customers who are impulse buyers. Horrible, it's true. But these are standard practices for every major corporation. It's a shame that living things have to be involved. But if more of these complaints were sent to corporate, not just your local store, then there would be some kind legitimate action going on to stop the pet trade industry.

And lastly, anyone know about the "revolving door" in big retail sales corps? Store managers always try to avoid having to give employees annual pay raises by finding stupid reasons to fire them. And by always having "Position Available" signs posted all over the stores, there is always a steady crop of stupid high school kids who are hired in place of the just-fired. Think about it: a hardworking, smart, and well-educated potential candidate will always have a decent wage expectation- a high schooler, who just wants to buy video games with his wage, will take the store managers suggestion/offer. Consequently-->stupid employees. But again, this is CORPORATES problem. They should be in control of the store managers and see that there is no corruption.

Just to note, I'm not defending or promoting Petsmart in any way, just trying to put some perspective into all the complaints I hear all the time. I LOVE that there are people out there who take pride in learning about REAL pet care, and the idea of these pet care forums are genius. Props to ALL OF YOU!

ocpetd

Trust me, if I had my way, 1. we wouldn't be selling any pets to begin with, or 2. supply stores with the RIGHT equipment needed for pet care and ship it on time, not a year later, after countless nags from the little associate on the brink of getting fired ("WE NEED UVB BULBS! THAT'S WHY THEY'RE NOT HEALTHY!"). It breaks my heart to see "my" animals suffer (and by suffer, I don't mean physical abuse, more like neglect. but that's just as bad.) I try my hardest to keep all of the animals 110% happy and healthy, but of course taking time to correctly clean a cage, or refill food and water bowls, etc. is frowned upon because we're not helping a customer.

But alas, I am a young college student trying to pay off debt and haven't found another job.. yet. And of course there's a little heartache thinking of leaving all of the animals behind.. especially the ones that I've revived from illness due to neglect. Thinking that they will suffer once again after I leave. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom