I'm at a loss!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortunate

Hatchling Member
I am so frustrated right now!! Dylan (3 and a half) has not eaten in a week, He has been treated and cleared of coccidia and pinworms, is on reptaid and probiotics.

I have tried tough love but even after a week he has not eaten then when I tried baby food the other day he gobbled it up!! He hides if the temp goes over 35*C (95*f?) but thats a good temp for an adult!
He is now afraid of me coz everytime I pick him up he gets a bath or meds!

I have tried everything and there is still no change! :cry: :cry:

Do you think I should get him a bigger viv with more floor space? go back to the vet? continue with "smoothies"
I tried making the smoothies chunky (leaving bits of crickets so he has to chew) he just spits those chunks out!

Please help!! I lay awake at night trying to figure this out - I am on the internet all the time to research ideas but have pulled up blanks!
When the temps are at 35*C he lays about for a while then goes to hide, I have to then increase the entire vivs temps up (even in the cool side where he hides) coz i'm afraid he wont digest his meds. I brought all new lights and he is on tile, vet checked for imapaction and constipation and he is clear.

he is not loosing weight but gaining VERY slowly, which to me indicates he must be getting ffod from somewhere......... gosh im confused!
How do I get him to eat soilds!! :banghead:

Im still fairly new to Dragons, but I have vast amounts of other animal knowledge and I think what I would personally do is keep trying the smoothie if hes eating that, as well add in calcium powder to keep up bone strength and blend up some wax, super or butter worms and mash them in the the smoothie and see if he will take that.

That way you at least have some peace of mind that hes getting nutrition even if hes anorexic.

What did the vet say to you when you had him there?

Fortunate

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That's what I think, keep up with the smoothie. I just want to see if any one has any other tips.

The vet says to starve him coz he is just spoilt and will not starve himself and will eventually eat.
But its hard to watch him gobble up the smoothie, I don't want to starve him.

Vet says everything is great, he should be eating is just spoilt.....

I want him to eat solids but I don't know how to make him anymore!
Such a high maintance guy I have :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What are his length and weight ? If he's a very large, heavy dragon, I would agree with your vet, at least to an extent....maybe feed him once a week as you are doing at the most, and offer veggies with a few insects on top at other times. Remember, he's not feeling quite right because of all the meds, so he's kind of sulking. Since he is gaining and not losing, there's no fear of malnutrition. Remember, during brumation they may eat nothing at all for 3-4 months. They are extremely hardy.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Maybe try a different type of feeder if you usually feed crickets. Maybe a hornworm or super will encourage him to eat on his own. I have to agree with the vet on this one, if he is eating the slurry ok then he is just being picky. Going without food for a week really isn't a big deal, just make sure he is drinking.

Fortunate

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
@AHBD:
He is 15" (excluding the big chunk taken out of his tail) and weighs just under 400g - severly under weight in my opinion - thats why I am stressing so much! He gets his salad every day all day (changed twice a day) he stares at it when it goes in and a few times during the day - but wont grab it, when I put it near his mouth he closes his eyes and looks away or else he tastes and spits it out (have tried everything safe to beardies and get the same response)
With live feeders he watches them but refuses to catch them, when I bring them close its the same story as the salad, basically if its not in a syrynge he is not intrested!

@Gail:
I have tried crickets (all different sizes), Roaches (all different sizes), meal worms, supers (again all different sizes). my room looks like a pet store.
I have tried feeding the feeders different things, slowing them down, cutting them up (gross I know) dusting them and not dusting them, covring them in his fav baby food, he licks the baby food off and leaves the feeder!!

He has no eaten in 10 days, he is more active, and dances around his viv but when I put food near him he freezes! :banghead:
I have cried a few times out of frustration to be honest, I am out of ideas now.

I have also played with the temps in his viv to see if that helps, no affect whatsoever!

Thanks for your replies - I really appriciate it! :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I can see why you would be worried about your boy, we want to see them eating, lounging and enjoying life. Actually his weight is not bad at all, many of the dragons on the forums are actually on the " plus " size, just like so many people these days ! Being on the slim side is not harmful to most people as well as animals. So, at near 400 grams, he's not in any danger. I must admit that it's somewhat puzzling, but I still think that his appetite will kick in eventually. I would do the smoothie once a week just to be sure he's getting some nutrition, but I still think he is just being picky and things are out of whack due to the meds. and , you say he doesn't like baths ? Does he enjoy roaming around your house ? A little free running time might pump up his appetite again...but that's just a guess.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Hve you tried messing with the basking temps at all? Does he gape a lot when he does bask?
Dudley doens't usually like really high basking temps either, he prefers them around 95*F or even a little lower. You could try 90*F for a day, and see if he basks more with the lower temps.

Fortunate

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He just sits completly still in the tub, refusing to move - and as for roaming he loves it, i let him out to roam but and try feed him then, just ignores the feeders.

I have messed with al the temps, his fave are 35*C at basking if it gets any higher he hids in the cool side! :banghead:

As long as he is not terribly under weight that puts my mind at ease a bit.
I have decided to get him the 75+ gallon tank I saw (just got to save up a bit for it) :roll:
Also need to find place to put it - may have to pull a "jess" and get rid of some of my furniture to make space :wink:

I take him outside almost everyday for real sunshine but no effect.

I am really baffled, if there was a reason he is not eating then I could cope with it, but the fact that I dont know is driving me mad!

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I understand how frustrating it is when your beardie goes on a hunger strike, although 10 days for an adult is not extreme, it is still unsettling for you. I had a very healthy beardie that went on a hunger strike for 3 months in his first year. I was beside myself trying everything to get him to eat, but had no success. I finally resorted to giving him babyfood mixed with Fluker's Repta-Aid Critical Care. It took a few weeks, but he eventually started eating worms/crickets on his own again. The Repta-Aid is not only just for malnourished/dehydrated reptiles, but is also an appetite stimulant.
Just thought I would throw that out there if you want to try something else. :wink:

athenacp

Extreme Poster
When Digger got treated for his pinworms/hookworms he was about 2 years old, prior to that he would eat greens, supers (hated crickets). After that he would not eat, took him to the vet, pulled my hair out, etc. Finally he would eat baby food, but that was forced fed and he finally would eat butterworms and then eventually supers but it took me YEARS! Occasionally he would eat on his own but that was few and far between! He was given liquid calcium also because of his eating habits, the vet finally decided he was unique, he had great bone structure, blood tests were great and his weight was steady, so for 6 years of his life he was a very difficult eater.

All I can say is maybe you have an "unique" beardie too! If the temps are fine, his fecal is fine, bloodwork is fine, then he just might be as stubborn as mine was. Digger never had slurries, but he did eat baby food.

Just letting you know you are not alone :D

Fortunate

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys, that really makes me feel better, he is running around my room, still scared of me tho! :roll:

He is active in his viv and is a "normal beardie" in all other respects - except with food! he has never been a great eater but this is insane!

I'm so glad there are other ppl out there who share in my pain and frustration! :)
I just have to come to terms with the fact that he is lazy, even to lazy to chew apparently! lol

Just saw a thread about a dragon with liver disease :shock: Lets hope thats not Dyl's problem!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Are you POSITIVE that it's a he ? Lately, there have been more than a few " surprises" as far as the gender of the dragon. Can you post a pic of the vent with the tail arched over the back? Just to be sure it's not a female ? Even the vets are wrong at times, going by the femoral pores [ which both sexes have, just bigger on the males ] instead of the bulges on the tail, which, at times are still a bit difficult to distinguish.

Fortunate

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok here it is, dunno if it helps!

I thought he was a female when he was young, then using guide pictures I figured out she was a he, so I could be wrong!

They dont show well in the photo but i see definate bumps on either side of the vent. (I stand to be corrected tho)
100_1818-1.jpg

Sorry if the picture sucks, he ran and hid under my pillows after the photos, and this was the clearest of them all.
ps excuse the dirty tail and vent ares, still stuggling to clean those areas (in the "sand is a good idea" stage of newbie beardie ownership :oops: )

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, it looks to be a boy. Sorry we caused more stress for you Dylan ! Poor guy....and yes, that " sand stain " will eventually shed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom