If you want a dragon.....join a dragon forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
***Backstory:

I am considering getting a chameleon so naturally I am doing some research and decided to join a chameleon forum. I am of the logic if you want to learn the proper care for dragons, you should join a dragon forum. If you want a chameleon join a chameleon forum and so on, and so on, and so on....

Well, I ran across this thread over there and was mortified with the information a couple members were giving about dragons. One in particular really got to me. Have a read....

http://www.chameleonforums.com/beardie-35305/index2.html#post326529

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah, I have been a member of the cham forum for the last year (1.0 Sambava) and I find much of the husbandry is like what I see on this forum. There are many safe ways to care for a reptile that can lead to a long and healthy life. I quickly found that the cham forums had many "hard and fast" rules that posters chanted, that people who had kept the animals healthy for years and had the honesty to admit their techniques were flamed. This forum can be the same way.

I find there are many who have decided there is a "10 Commandments" to keeping a dragon and blast people for questions and husbandry choices. I tend to go with the currents of the forum on some issues because I believe that a uniform message keeps some people from following the advice of *****s. I am accountable for the health and growth of my dragons, and that makes me careful to state ideas that go against the flow of the forum. I don't want to be blamed for someone trying a substrate/temp/feeder/pairing that will be blamed on my bad advice. So I help tow the line.

All that being said, the explanation of belly heat vs. basking for babies was legitimate considering the temp gradient he described. Basking lights can dehydrate hatchlings very easy, and I can see this belly heat method being very efficient since the newer UTHs have better temp control like he mentioned.

Furthermore UVB is most important in the first 6 months. He didn't say you didn't need it after that. I have males that brumate at 8 months of age and get NO UVB for 2-3 months with no adverse affects, or slowed growth. Some even grow during brumation.

As far as cohabitation is concerned, breeders have more experience in this than most and it is not condoned since most people try it with no regard for size, sex, and temperament. It is always an experiment that can lead to disaster for the average dragon owner.

And I'll pass on the sand debate for now lol

I really don't want to argue husbandry with people who clearly love dragons and do their best to give good advice, and I feel similarly about the chameleon people.

People must be responsible to use google, forums, books, friends, and breeders for husbandry techniques. I have found what works best is somewhere in between all of those resources.

Please don't take what I have written as a challenge, I know what works and, I know you know what works for you. And yes I wouldn't go to a nursery for car parts, the correct forum is a step in the right direction.

Jeff Crider

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Jeff, I am curious about your reference to keeping two dragons together. "It is always an experiment that can lead to disaster for the average dragon owner" What would an experienced breeder do that the typical owner doesn't do that makes it less taboo for breeders to it?

spyder79

Extreme Poster
As a rule breeders that practice housing multiples are very well versed in all the mannerisms of a dragon that may or may not lead to disaster. Also, breeders that choose to house together will make certain that the two FEMALES housed together are of almost exact size and temperment. Also, a breeder will be certain to give multiples of everything (ie basking sites, feeding sites, hides, etc). At the first sign of an issue a breeder will know how to dissolve the situation.

the reason that it is highly suggested that the average keeper not practice this is that the average keeper does not know enough about the way bearded dragons interact to notice the tale tale signs of future issues.

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
I generally cohabitate clutchmates,or dragons who have cohabitated from being hatched, based on size and temperament. A lot of people will add a dragon to another dragon. That will have a much higher percentage of risk. I have noticed once a dragon has lived alone, they are more aggressive, or afraid when another dragon is introduced. As far as females, they can be just as aggressive as males so you must be mindful of health, size, and temperament. Regular feeding is also a must.

I definitely don't recommend it to people so I can sell more dragons, but I do know from experience that it is more common than people admit, and the horror stories will always overshadow the successes.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom