Ideas for New Setup for a MBD Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Ok, First off, Love my father in law :D Gave me $100 bucks to spend on whatever for Christmas. Obviously, I was immediately thinking NEW TANK FOR SYD! So, I am checking on craig's list for new tank and I will need a new light. I am upgrading from a 20 long. She is appx. 12 inches in length and has some mobility issues. Yesterday, she fliped off her water bowl and got stuck on her back. Luckily, I was there and turned her back over. I think she is better off with a simple tank with room around everything. So, I am looking for ideas for her new setup to acommodate a beardie with MBD. Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks everyone, I am getting so excited at creating her a new one :D

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Check around at some of the posts from jscott. His LG is a multiple leg amputee and he has made some great stuff for him, and I know he's posted a lot of pictures.

Smooth surfaces, no tall fixtures.. things like that are obvious I guess.
Sorry! I wish I had some more ideas...

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, husband and I have decided to make a project tank!!! I had to negotiate the size a little to acommodate it in our room but I decided 42 inches long, 24 inches tall and 21 inches wide. This way you don't run into it leaving my bathroom :lol: I am planning on using cedar wood and a plexiglass front. We plan on sealing it and creating a custom lid. Does anyone know of issues with cedar? I will check LG's setup as well! Thanks for any ideas!

Amaryllis

I'm by no means an expert, but I've heard that the oils from cedar wood (and woods that smell nice to us) can be harmful to reptiles. While you might be best double checking that, I think going with a different type of wood would be better.

apbgv

Hatchling Member
I would probably stay away from cedar, most animals have issues with the oils, even sealed I would still be worried. I would recommend plain old plywood. That is what I am going to attempt to build a new enclosure out of :D

i acutally met some loser at the petstore I went to when I brought in my iguana, who said his died because he had it on cedar chips. Basically it shriveled up and died. Silly man I wanted to spit on his shoes while he told me that.

But yeah, best to just stick to tiles (she'll probably slide more on it too which may be good for one with MBD), and maybe like a mini-sandbox. Thats how mines gonna go over (when I complete my construction!) Something simple and smooth is always good.

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, I think I have decided to go with oak for the wood. Basically, the sides, back and top of the tank will be oak, and I will use plexi on the front. I plan to seal the wood then put in ceramic tile for the floor. I wasn't planning on having her directly on the wood. Still don't know if cedar is safe, but my local lowe's doesn't have it...so they made the choice for me. LOL Does anyone know if there is a certain type of fluorescent fixture needed for the reptisun 10.0? I was just going to try to find one for household use but wasn't sure if if needed to be "for reptiles". Thanks for the suggestions :) Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and will have a great New Year :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom