Idea for beardie that won't eat veggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clbauman7

Hatchling Member
Ok so we have a spoiled 4-5 month old beardie who doesn't like his veggies. I know that at this young age that is pretty normal, but it is important to try get him to eat his veggies right? So along with a salad that he doesn't really touch I started offering him worms dipped in baby food squash. He can't resist the worms and gets some good vitamins that way. Is this ok?

I really am a beardie slave aren't I ?! :whip:
Julie

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hi Julie,

The veggie thing usually comes in time. Hang in there. Some beardies are more reluctant than others. Just KEEP OFFERING. 4-5 months is still young. Our beardie didn't start accepting veggies regularly until she was about 8 months, which is entirely within the range of normal (a BIG range to be had there, as it turns out). Early on, she would sometimes accept some hand-fed mustard greens or sliced apple.

If you are supplementing/dusting with vites 1 - 2 times per week, this will help with the vitamins. Which type of worms are your feeding btw? Are you feeding crickets (or other hopper) as well? If you are feeding any gut loaded type of feeder, then you can offer lots of greens to them... beardie will get those greens one way or another. :wink:

We had success with the "moving salad." We put her phoenix worms in the dish, and placed chopped greens (mustard or collards usually, sometimes kale or bok choy) on top. While going for the worms, she usually gets some greens in and she got used to them this way... anymore, she will eat the greens on their own as well. :)

Best of luck! :)

Em

clbauman7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Em :) Right now he will eat a few mouth fulls of peas. ( Not the best, but a veggie non the less) If I put collard greens in his dish he wouldn't even go near it. He does not like them. He will munch a bite or two of Kale. Although it is my understanding that kale isn't a good "main salad" The little bit he eats shouldn't be a problem though lol

Right now we are feeding him meal worms. He likes them, but I know they can cause impaction so we are being careful. I am going to order phoenix worms on Monday and then stop with the meal worms altogether. We got the meal worms for the "moving salad." But, it mostly just entices him to pick out the worms. :roll:

His staple diet is of course crickets. No bigger than the space between his eyes :D We did our research :study: before we bought him but there is always more to learn about these silly creatures lol

Julie

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
clbauman7":319d6 said:
Thanks Em :) Right now he will eat a few mouth fulls of peas. ( Not the best, but a veggie non the less) If I put collard greens in his dish he wouldn't even go near it. He does not like them. He will munch a bite or two of Kale. Although it is my understanding that kale isn't a good "main salad" The little bit he eats shouldn't be a problem though lol

Ah, I should have mentioned, I had to use a bit of tough love with the moving salad. When I covered the worms the first few times, she gave me the stink eye and wouldn't eat, period. I felt bad and removed the greens. After a couple of days, I decided to just leave them and we stared each other down until she finally came over to my way of thinking (although I still got the stink eye :wink: ). And hey, peas are something! Yes, kale is an occasional feeder, but it sounds like your guy isn't eating much so I imagine it's just fine. At this early stage, just trying lots of things and offering daily is the most you can do. When they are young, beardies are concentrated on growing and for that, lots of protein is of course, needed. Our girl got off to a slow start growth wise, but now that she's catching up, the veggies are becoming more voluntarily prevalent in her diet, but we still have a bit to go on it.

Right now we are feeding him meal worms. He likes them, but I know they can cause impaction so we are being careful. I am going to order phoenix worms on Monday and then stop with the meal worms altogether. We got the meal worms for the "moving salad." But, it mostly just entices him to pick out the worms. :roll:

Indeed, the meal worms are an impaction risk. They also don't offer beardie much in the way of protein or overall nutrition. Phoenix worms are lovely, and so low maintenance! I think beardie (and you as far as caring for them) will enjoy. And most beardies LOVE them. Our girl started eating the medium size at 6 inches. They are still her morning meal and she loves them... although we've moved onto large now.

His staple diet is of course crickets. No bigger than the space between his eyes :D We did our research :study: before we bought him but there is always more to learn about these silly creatures lol

Yes, always something to learn and how wonderful you were able to do a lot of that BEFORE bringing beardie home. It really can help! And hey, like I mentioned before, if you're gut loading crickets with veggies and fruit, beardie is getting a lot of veggies that way as well.

Honestly, sounds like you're doing all that you can, and it's likely just a matter of time.

In case you don't already have it, here is an excellent resource list for feeding your dragon (do's and don'ts): http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

The best,
Em

clbauman7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh yes, thank you. I have used that website many times. I always see people recommend it, so I know it must be a good one :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
617781l
Top Bottom