I was given a neglected bearded dragon . I need help and answers

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
Would this be it?
I will post a photo i bought a kit from pet smart this is the one i have u want 12% for a bigger tank it comes fixture and bulb the one i got what size is your tank?
image.jpg

Angiejan1421

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cheeto
I will post a photo i bought a kit from pet smart this is the one i have u want 12% for a bigger tank it comes fixture and bulb the one i got what size is your tank? View attachment 81505
Mine is 40 I just got it from someone and it came with a fixture attached to it I just need the tube light. The cage he came in was about 10 gallons so we are looking for bigger ones.

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
That’s awesome thank you so much. I got him a little ferret toy ball that I want to start letting him play with it but idk if I should wait until he’s used to me or just put it in his cage so he’s used to it. A lady said to put worms in it as a treat and that’ll get him used to it. We’ll tomorrow we’re gonna change his whole tank around we got some new stuff for him and I wanna try a bath but would that be too much change for him?
It cpuld stress him out as they get used to you change isnt as bad its enrichment ive had mine for 2 months now i can now change his tank around without getting stress marks if ypu do change it do it once then leave it for like 1-2 months i wpuld wait for the bath if ur changing his tank it could be to much all of that id say dont put the ball in when not being moniterd never know what could happen if u put the ball in dont leave him unatended or if u take him out just put him on the ground with the ball n slightly push it around he might not show intrest right away it will take time

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
Mine is 40 I just got it from someone and it came with a fixture attached to it I just need the tube light. The cage he came in was about 10 gallons so we are looking for bigger ones.
Okay yeah i have a 40 gal tank and i use the 12% t5 arcadia that or you could get zoomed those are the top 2 i prefer arcadia its more compact and easier to mounth in the cage

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
Okay yeah i have a 40 gal tank and i use the 12% t5 arcadia that or you could get zoomed those are the top 2 i prefer arcadia its more compact and easier to mounth in the cage
What are you using for the ground subrate or somthing else?

Angiejan1421

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cheeto
We’ll I went to Petco and they said calcium sand was ok for them then I googled and it said it was all bad so now I got him a sand mat that the lady said do half sand and half sand mat, his nails r long she said it would be good for his nails to file down. I put some creature soil in it and they said to try it maybe he might wanna burry himself in there, but he didn’t do anything with it so I took most of it out

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
I use non adhesive shelf liner its easy to clean not toxic like some of the substrates they sell and it makes it easier to see when and how often they use the bathroom
Has yours gone bathroom yet?

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
We’ll I went to Petco and they said calcium sand was ok for them then I googled and it said it was all bad so now I got him a sand mat that the lady said do half sand and half sand mat, his nails r long she said it would be good for his nails to file down. I put some creature soil in it and they said to try it maybe he might wanna burry himself in there, but he didn’t do anything with it so I took most of it out
Yeah calsium sand and chestnut shell substrate are toxic there a videos on youtube you can look at to cut his nails as long as hes bigger so i assume there easier to see mines tiny still so i dont do his nails i hear u can just use nail clippers u just trim the tips u can watch a video to speed up the prosses of fixing the nail issue but yeahd ruff surfaces help with that so like a rock basking spot or a ruffish ordament they say baby beardies tend to eat more substrate then adults which is why i use shelf liner non adhesive currently

Angiejan1421

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cheeto
That is the bulb but you need the fixture w/ it -- look at the Pet Smart I posted for you -- you want a fixture w/a reflector in it --- I have sent you links to UVB's--- please do not listen to the pet store people they dont have a clue about dragons or how to take care of them
Oh I c what you mean. His little cage came with one but it’s super tiny but I just set it on the screen for now. Ok now I know what you’re saying. Thank you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can get a couple of pieces of textured ceramic tile to put in the tank for keeping their nails down - you dont want smooth tile or too coarse of tile that it gives them abrasions - go to Home Depot or your home improvement store and rub your hand over the tile so you can feel it -- I use 2 pieces of tile in my tanks and a black mat that Zen Habitats sells or Pet Smart for a 120 gallon tank (4x2x2)

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom