i thought he was gonna explode!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessd123

lol ok now i know that i ask advice on something different everyday, but this was truly interesting. i walked into my bedroom cuz that is where we keep the boge man. and i couldnt believe my eyes! his beard was completely flared but the thing is so was his belly and he was like holding his breath! he looked like a damn basketball! i started to pet him and he stopped... but i just wanted to knwo when they flare their beards out is it normal for them to puff their bellies out as well? i think he's just showing off lol. it had me worried for a second... but i just wanted to know if the whole belly puffing thing is normal.

Jessd123

Original Poster
mailgooglecom.jpg

he still looks a little "bloaty" right here but he has always been a little on the tubby side. and when it happened he turned REAL dark. like he was pissed.

cxerphax

Hatchling Member
If he was like a basketbal NO ITS NOT NORMAL OBVIOUSLY. Is he still like that take him to a vet asap? if it gone down its probably just some poop blockage and you take care of that yourself. JUst very gently soothe his belly while he takes a warm soak up to his pits and do it till he poops.

mischa

Juvie Member
Is he like that all the time, then that is bad, or does he only do this occasionally when frightened?

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Jessd123":f4aac said:
lol ok now i know that i ask advice on something different everyday, but this was truly interesting. i walked into my bedroom cuz that is where we keep the boge man. and i couldnt believe my eyes! his beard was completely flared but the thing is so was his belly and he was like holding his breath! he looked like a damn basketball! i started to pet him and he stopped... but i just wanted to knwo when they flare their beards out is it normal for them to puff their bellies out as well? i think he's just showing off lol. it had me worried for a second... but i just wanted to know if the whole belly puffing thing is normal.

Indeed, it's important when feeling threatened to look as BIG as you possible can! Our beardie, when she's upset and bearding certainly will go "all puffy" for a spell. As you mentioned that he stopped (by which, I assume you mean "deflated") when you petted him, your presence was obviously calming, and he was able to retake previous/normal form. Ah, beardie's love that reassuring care from their slave. :wink:

On a side note, our beardie did this one night after we'd moved her to her new enclosure. It was a Craigslist find in need of serious help, and a had scrubbed this tank within an inch of it's life. The glass was pristine. However, beardie caught a mirror image of herself in the glass, and promptly started bearding away, and then, blew up like a balloon. Small beardie that she is, I was duly impressed she was able to take such size, even if temporary. :shock: That night, I dreamed she did it again, and then turned into a pufferfish! :mrgreen:

Indeed, if he is puffy all the time, be looking for signs of other distress or impaction. If it's a direct result of being upset, bearding, turning dark, but then returning to natural state after a small time, then I'd say you just had a temporarily uptight beardie on your hands.

The best,
Em

Jessd123

Original Poster
thanks guys for all ur advice. he isnt bloated anymore it only happened 2 times yesterday and only for like a few minutes all together. i took him out and he deflated instantly. and just curled up in my hand. i think i found the culprit, he started shedding sometime late in the day yesterday, i think he may have just been irritated from that, because he keeps wagging his tail to get the loose skin off and scratching his head and just looks pretty upset that this has happened again so soon. he has been growing really fast it seems like he sheds every week and a half. which im sure isnt a bad thing, i was just worried for a minute... i dont think we are in need of a vet visit cuz he pooped twice yesterday once before and once after he ate. i was very impressed with how much air he sucked in though, i thought he was gonna turn into a balloon and fly away. lol but he is fine now and all is well. thanks for all ur advice! im going to put some tile in his tank today to make it look a little better and get rid of the smelly repti carpet. i will post some pics later and show u how it turns out.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Jessd123":ad4d0 said:
i think i found the culprit, he started shedding sometime late in the day yesterday

Ah yes, this very thing makes our dragon VERY grumpy. Before she starts a torso shed, she'll do the puffy thing A LOT, trying to get things started, I suppose. :)

Jessd123

Original Poster
WELLLLL the slate tile didnt work out... after i spent basically ALL DAY cutting ONE peice in half with a hack saw we tried to fit them in and they were just a fraction of a hair too big... so we are probably going to have to do some sanding to make them fit properly. but i did clean his tank. ill post a picture to show the set up i have.. it isnt anything like the pics in the viv picture thread, im workin on it though. it should be up to par in no time. im looking for a good backdrop... i saw this one kid use pictures of really nice looking pot buds, i thought it was very clever, and looked pretty nice, lol but i dont smoke pot so that may be a little contradicting to my style. maybe ill use pictures of beer instead haha.

tank.jpg

Jessd123

Original Poster
HAH! i caught him doing it! check out this pic its really funny. he's getting ready to start shedding all over. he's a pissed off little dude right now lol.

bogebeingaballoon.jpg

Jessd123

Original Poster
yeah he's funny. he has such a stoner look to him i dont know where he gets it from lol. im referring mostly to his eyes, he always looks like he just took a massive bong hit.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Ok just to give you some info before you freak out but if you look at your beardie and it looks like his eyes are going to pop out of his head that is 100% normal :shock: They eye buldge to loosen the shead around their eye. It freaked me out the first time i seen it.

Pleaides

Juvie Member
Freeie":16c06 said:
Ok just to give you some info before you freak out but if you look at your beardie and it looks like his eyes are going to pop out of his head that is 100% normal :shock: They eye buldge to loosen the shead around their eye. It freaked me out the first time i seen it.

LOL, the first time my Mischief did this i was straight on the phone to my vet screaming down the phone "omg, my beardies eyeballs are gonna fall out his head!", haha, they literally just laughed at me and he was indeed shedding around his eyes and his head at the time, boy, how that must have sounded i cringe when i think back to that, thats how alarming it actually looks though. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom