i think Skippy is a she and pregnant..

Status
Not open for further replies.
"he" has been paceing his viv all day and now digging like crazy will not stop can not be side tracked. ummmmm WHAT DO I DO?!?! i am so not prepared for this at all if this is what i think it is. tell me other signs of laying or just that i am crazy that will be fine too :)

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
Ok well first we need to find out if he is really a she.Did you check the article on sexing?
http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/
Also if you could post a pic like the ones in the article we could take a look for you.How long have you had Skippy?Do you know if Skippy was housed with other beardies?Also what are the temps in the tank and what are you using to measure them?Also could you fill me in on the type of UVB you are using?Please be specific ie:coil/compact/linear,brand name and %of uvb.For example Linear Reptisun 10.0,all of this info will be on the actual bulb.How old is Skippy?

busymommie

Original Poster
"he" will not let me near him let alone lift up his back end i will wait for my husband to do that, i have had skippy 10 days the previous owner posted him on freecycle as could no longer take care of i snatched him up. she brought him to me wich i found odd i lived 50 miles away and she will not return my emails so i have not a clue what was going on there. temps per digi gun 73 cool 106 hot. uvb linear repti glow 10.0 and i was told he is 3 yrs old

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Ok we will wait on the pic to see if your little buddy is a girl or a boy.Now the temps are good,I am a little worried about the uvb you are using because it has been problematic and causing some BD problems.If your going to use it then you need to make sure there is a bright white light beside it and make sure he cant get to within 10 inches of the bulb.You could try turning it off and see if this is the root of Skippy's problems.It could also just be a case of simple relocation stress.Do you have any other beardies/reptiles within Skippy's view or within his scent range?It is the time when boys start to come out of brumation looking for a little love so that could be it as well.

busymommie

Original Poster
tell me what uvb to replace it with and i will do it right away please. and we have a salamander a few feet away from him.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
busymommie":ad4fd said:
tell me what uvb to replace it with and i will do it right away please. and we have a salamander a few feet away from him.
Well the best flourescent uvb is the ReptiSUN 10.0.You can get it much cheaper online at lllreptile.com then you can in the stores so you may want to consider ordering it online.As with all UVB flourescents they must be replaced every 6 mos and the recommended distance is 6-8 inches.The other option you have is to go with a good MVB bulb.These are highest quality uvb and they also do emit heat as well so it would replace both the uvb tube and basking bulb.They are flood type bulbs.The tank minimum for one of these is minimum 40 breeder as there are distance requirements with thes bulbs of 12 inches or more because of the high uvb and heat they emit.The two I recommend of these are the Megaray from reptileuv.com or the TRex Active heat which can be found at most petstores or online supply sites.They are a little more expensive then regular uvb but they are only to be replaced yearly.Either way you go it will be fine.
I dont think the salamander would affect him in this way.I am thinking its either the bulb,relocation stress or a little of both.Is there an other symptoms/behaviors going on? Has he pooped for you yet?

busymommie

Original Poster
sorry i did not get back to you last night a wave of illness hit my house and i had 6 kids vomiting TMI i know. i will order that new MVB asap can i just not use the uvb until it gets here? as for poop yes he has pooped everyday yesterday he is still paceing and digging this morning no sidetracking him at all. i will try to get a good look at the rear end today and let you know once i do.
thank you

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
busymommie":a1fd1 said:
sorry i did not get back to you last night a wave of illness hit my house and i had 6 kids vomiting TMI i know. i will order that new MVB asap can i just not use the uvb until it gets here? as for poop yes he has pooped everyday yesterday he is still paceing and digging this morning no sidetracking him at all. i will try to get a good look at the rear end today and let you know once i do.
thank you
Oh gee all 6 kids are sick.I am sorry I know how crazy you must be right now :shock: Great that your ordering the MVB,your tank is 40 breeder or bigger correct?Good that he/she pooped.Let e know what you find out in regards to the sexing and we will go from there.Also dont show any fear when handling him.If he is giving you a hard time you need to not back down or he will continue the behavior, ok?

busymommie

Original Poster
i have a 60 gal i am trying to get him into with not so much cooperation from the hubby that has to move it. i took pics after his bath today but my camera is a pos and could not make anything out i am going to have a friend come down with a good camera and try again here in a bit, but looking myself i could not tell either way if there were bumps there he is so stained from that orange sand they had him in. and yes i am being brave and letting him scratch me up soon he will know with alot of advise from Holly on how to help him learn me. :)

spot102

Hi just a little thing to help ease your mind....I got my Spot a year ago and thought he(well she) was a male.....i had all the uv and lighting right. I was starting to get worried so I called the local exotic petstore.....she wouldn't eat and all she did was dig. I took her for a check up and found out that although she is young she has egg folicles and will need to be breed. My hubby and I were so sure Spot was a male but as soon as I took her in the store all I heard was"what a pretty little girl you have" I was shocked!!!! I was told by the owner that she will need to breed to stop egg binding.....and I got lucky she is a breed that is popular so they are going to breed her for free and pay me for her babies!!!!!! Hope this helps....just give lots of love and i found bathes help too!!!!

busymommie

Original Poster
thank you, "he" is still doing the paceing his viv and digging and eating more salad then usual. i am driveing to the big city tomarrow for a minor surgery and have made an apointment with the vet to get Skippy all checked out and find out just what sex he is since we realy can not get a good pic and tell ourselfs. hope he dose not mind that hour car ride and all day away from home to much

busymommie

Original Poster
well skippy is indeed a HE the vet took stool samples and drew blood, says he looks normal. told me he is starting to shed so this could be the reason for the paceing and diggin he is completly iritable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom