I think I'm Ready...

Status
Not open for further replies.

palomino

After a month of intense preperation I think I am finally ready to get my first beardie. I have my habitat: a 36"L x 18"W x 18H (a 40 Gallon breeder I think). I even have a theme. I am going for beach scene. For "substrate" I have tiles that I think will not be too smooth. If they are I am prepared to run out and buy some slate tiles...what ever I need. I have a 100W T-Rex MVB that is on top of the tank that is at least the recommended 12" away from the basking spot (which is a rock with a grapevine branchy thing so that there is different height layers for the dragon) and my basking temps are 100-105 F (I am not buying a baby) and my non basking temps range from 80-85 F. Night temps are around 70F and 73 F (my set up is in the room that has a gas furnace that runs practically all of the time). I have a hiding log, a hiding cocunut and some fake draping plants that have a suction cup at the top so that I can drape it over something and make a really nice hiding place. I have one of those water dripping contraptions - does anyone use these things that drip water from the top of the tank? If so, if you could please leave me some feed back that would be great. I have 2 Sterrillite plastic tubs with screens on the lids for the feeders. I have the water crystals and an abundant supply of egg crates that I ordered off of eggcartons or egg crates.com. I am going to buy some Turks over the weekend but I think I will use the second tub with some crickets until I get the turks. I have a heating pad for the turks if I so desire to have my own colony (which I am sure I will). I have also located a reptile vet in my area. I found him on some reptile vet website that lists reptile vets by area. Now I get to have 3 different vets. One for the cat, one for the horse, and one for the BD.

I think I will get my BD on December 30 as I am off of work for the next few days. There is one that I really want at Pet Supply Plus. This guy has been there for a long time (It's just not in a big town and there isn't much demand for reptiles in this area) and I have seen this guy practically double in size the last month and he is the size that I want. Plus he seems to have a good personality, he is always coming up to the glass and "waving". The guy who sold me my tank said how he has taken a liking to the little guy. He looks really healthy and everytime I go in there there is a nice big fresh poo in there. They seem to take pretty good care of their reptiles and pets. The BD is on fake grass, has hiding places, he's just getting a little too big for the small holding tank. My luck now he won't be there now. :(

If there is anything I am missing please let me know. I have learned so much from all of you guys.

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Congrats and good luck!! It seems like you are well prepared... my only advice is to buy your beardie contingent on a health checkup from the vet. Best wishes!

doudare

Sounds like a fun set up. I hope he/she is there for you when you go.
If I might suggest to make sure the green plant is out of their reach.
One of our BD tanks used to be a cichlid aquarium and had silk plants. One which was left in the tank, near the top, stuck to
terra cotta stones (not me, previous owner) glued to the back of the tank.
I had Sephera in the bath and of course she had a poop. I saw some undigested greens in there. Strange I thought making note to keep a closer eye on her. I drained the tub only to find two leaves from the silk plant stuck in the drain. She manage to climb the stones to get to the plant.
I thanked the beardie gods, her lucky stars, my lucky stars and any others that might be out there that it didnt end up with impaction and our loss of Sephera.
thats my two cents. :)
doreen

palomino

Original Poster
doudare":663a1 said:
Sounds like a fun set up. I hope he/she is there for you when you go.
If I might suggest to make sure the green plant is out of their reach.
One of our BD tanks used to be a cichlid aquarium and had silk plants. One which was left in the tank, near the top, stuck to
terra cotta stones (not me, previous owner) glued to the back of the tank.
I had Sephera in the bath and of course she had a poop. I saw some undigested greens in there. Strange I thought making note to keep a closer eye on her. I drained the tub only to find two leaves from the silk plant stuck in the drain. She manage to climb the stones to get to the plant.
I thanked the beardie gods, her lucky stars, my lucky stars and any others that might be out there that it didnt end up with impaction and our loss of Sephera.
thats my two cents. :)
doreen

OMG!! I never even thought of that one! This plant is plastic and I don't think it would be very good if eaten. I think I might just leave it out.

Thanks everyone! I will keep you all posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom