I need some advice. Is this enclosure ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knuckles

This is one of my enclosures:
https://i.ibb.co/SsmGpT8/C144357-E-2-FF4-450-D-BCA9-4-CCD0-B2-E0-E2-E.jpg

It’s 36x24x18. Ignore the decor - it’s cleared out at the moment. Is the lighting ok? Does it need more vents? My temps were correct and the humidity stayed between 30-40%.

I’m asking because my 4-5 month old dragon seemed unhappy in it since the day I got him. He was hiding a lot, not eating much (maybe 10 dubias a day) and had stress marks constantly. I did some research and discovered that the UVB should only be covering 2/3 of the tank and the basking bulb should be on the same side. I thought maybe the UVB covering the whole enclosure was bothering him and making it too bright. My girlfriend also pointed out that it looks like an insane asylum lol and would make any living thing claustrophobic.

Sooo, we put him into a 36x18x18 Exo Terra to see if the previous enclosure was the issue and he hasn’t improved much. He does seem to be basking and sometimes exploring more, but still not “normal”. When I take him out to give him his meds, he’s bright colored with a white belly. As soon as I put him in his basking spot, he stays there, but with stress marks. He’s also started glass surfing and I’m having more trouble keeping the temps high enough.

I should also mention that he’s got a few parasites and is being treated for them. Maybe that’s why he’s acting weird, but it’s strange how he’s ok out of his enclosure and only seems stressed when he’s in it. :(

In the future I’ll be putting him in a 4x2x2, but for now should I keep him in the Exo Terra and cover the sides, maybe add a CHE? Or redo the lighting/fixtures in the melamine enclosure and try that again?

Just trying to get some advice from other dragon parents. I hate that he’s not happy.

knuckles

Original Poster
Should add that the temps in the Exo Terra aren’t drastically low or anything, just more difficult to keep them high enough. His basking spot right now is about 100F and the cool side is 76-78F.
In the melamine, his basking spot was around 108F and the cool side was 80F.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The basking temps need to be taken w / a digital probe -- I see none in the tank or a infrared heat gun--- The fixture for the UVB is there a reflector on it? The basking bulb looks like its shining on one spot of the log fixture - for him to be having stress marks in the tank all the time something is off -- you only need a CHE if night time temps are getting below 65 -- you dont want to cook him -- you want to offer a heat gradient so he can pick a spot to bask in so a hot spot w/ temps going down in different areas to bask -- the UVB is a T 5 ? The basking bulb is a what wattage?
Karrie

knuckles

Original Poster
I have a heat gun and a probe. They both read the same temp. I got the probe to make sure my gun wasn’t off.

I added on top of my post to ignore the decor, that’s not how it was set up. I had the log moved and the spot was 108F.

The UVB is a T8. Do I need a reflector if it’s mounted to the ceiling of the enclosure like that?

Basking bulb is a 60w.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
W/ no reflector you want basking decor 6-8 inches -- the reflector adds extra Ray's or makes the UVB stronger Ray's - that's why they recommend them - as long as your bulb is keeping basking temps to what they should be your good- how far is basking decor from UVB
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom