i need help FAST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

newherp

my male bd, approx 2 months old, 6.25 inches randomly stopped eating. he used to be a good eater, but now he hasnt eaten in about 3 days! i dont feel an impaction, he belly just feels like a sac of water. he just began a tail shed, if that is needed.

he is in a 15 gal tank, and if currently using the 75 watt zoo med basking light. i do give warm baths everyday.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, sorry to hear that your beardie isn't eating much. Sometimes when they shed, they don't eat as much. But, just to be sure that there isn't anything else going on, could you answer these questions so we can see if something might need to be changed to help with his appetite? This way it would save time and prevent anything from being left out, thanks.

How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do yDo you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?

newherp

Original Poster
How long have you had your dragon? 2 or 3 weeks
How long is your dragon? around 6.5 inches
What is the sex of your dragon? male
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 15 gal
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? paper towels
Do you use UVB lights? i dont know. i have the zoo med basking light, thats all i know
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? -------
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? zoo med 75 watt
How old is your UVB bulb?--------
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? well their basking spot is about 4-6 inches from the bulb i have
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? zoo med 75 watt basking bulb
What are the basking temps? about 98
What is the cool side temp? 85 ish
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? temp gun
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? spot directly under the light (where they bask) farthest from light.
Do yDo you bath your dragon? How often? yes, every day or 2
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?water bowl and mist
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? yes, a female, same age, 5 inches
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? do you use a heat rock or heat pad? no to all
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. gut loaded crickets, 1/4th inch, mustard greens, with occasional carrots, and strawberries, and sometimes half cut mealworms.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? morning before school, after i get back from school, about 3:15, and sometimes after dinner if theyre hungry.
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? yeup, everythings gutloaded.
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? reptivite, every 2 days
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? yes

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, thanks for answering the questions. I do see a few things in your setup that could be affecting his appetite so I will respond to those answers in bold print.
newherp":6755b said:
How long have you had your dragon? 2 or 3 weeks
How long is your dragon? around 6.5 inches
What is the sex of your dragon? male
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 15 gal
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? paper towels
Do you use UVB lights? i dont know. i have the zoo med basking light, thats all i know
sounds like you aren't using a UVB and that is very important as it will affect their total health and will also prevent metabolic bone disease which you can read about here: http://www.thepawblog.com/metabolic-bone-disease-in-reptiles/
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? -------
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? zoo med 75 watt
How old is your UVB bulb?--------
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? well their basking spot is about 4-6 inches from the bulb i have
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? zoo med 75 watt basking bulb
What are the basking temps? about 98
Since you have babies, I suggest you raise the temps up so that they are over 100 degrees but no higher than 110 because babies tend to prefer higher temps
What is the cool side temp? 85 ish
the cool side temp should be about 80 and with it at 85 or above, it isn't allowing your beardies to properly thermoregulate
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? temp gun
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? spot directly under the light (where they bask) farthest from light.
you want to be sure that you take the temp right on the area exactly where they are basking
Do you bath your dragon? How often? yes, every day or 2
for proper hydration, you need to make sure that the beardie's vent (where he poos) is right down in the water for about 15 to 20 minutes each time as babies can get dehydrated very quickly
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?water bowl and mist
babies can drown in a small amt of water and have been known to fall asleep with their heads in their water bowls, so suggest you remove it at night, also be sure you're not misting in the tank as that can raise the humidity too high causing an upper respiratory infection
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? yes, a female, same age, 5 inches
it's not a good idea to house 2 beardies together as what you are seeing may be from dominance issues already. Even though they may be laying on top of one another or cuddling together, those are signs of dominance and it will only get worse. It's best to give them each their own tank because if they are a male & female, you don't want them to breed and they can start puberty as young as 5 months which can be very dangerous to both of them as they aren't mature enough to breed and it can kill the female if she carries eggs at such a young age
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? do you use a heat rock or heat pad? no to all
it's a good idea to have a fecal check done to test for parasites when you've had your beardies for about 2 wks as that can affect their total health including appetite
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. gut loaded crickets, 1/4th inch, mustard greens, with occasional carrots, and strawberries, and sometimes half cut mealworms.
here's a site that most of us refer to for feeding the best greens/veggies, etc. http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html mealworms are a risk impaction especially for babies due to their chitin shell and really have no nutritional value
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? morning before school, after i get back from school, about 3:15, and sometimes after dinner if theyre hungry.
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? yeup, everythings gutloaded.
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? reptivite, every 2 days
Reptivite contains calcium and vitamins in one bottle which really isn't a good idea because they need more calcium than vitamins so it makes it impossible to give the right dosage of each. For babies, you should be dusting with calcium with D3 but phosphorus-free 5 days a wk, but only 1 feeding a day and with vitamins the other 2 days a wk, but only 1 feeding a day. Most of us use the Rep-Cal brand supplements: http://www.petmountain.com/product/vitamins-supplements/105551/rep-cal-ultrafine-calcium-with-vitamin-d3.html
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? yes
babies should be pooping 2 to 3 times a day if they are getting everything they need

So, I suggest you raise the basking temp up a little, get a good fluorescent UVB like the Repti-Sun 10.0 http://www.petmountain.com/product/fluorescent/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html and make sure that bulb is right alongside a bright white basking bulb and 6 to 8" from your beardie. Also, pick up the bottles of separate supplements and dosage as explained above and get them separated very soon. How is the female doing, is her appetite good?
I know this is a lot of info to absorb, but didn't want to leave anything out. Let me know if you have any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom