I Need A Colony of SOMETHING....

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadwick757

Hatchling Member
I hate to break it to you but you have ruled out all of the common colony feeders with crickets and roaches. Supers are popular but he is on the small side for those. I would say give silkies a try. It will be harder but you are working with limited options.

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
chadwick757":0fe17 said:
I hate to break it to you but you have ruled out all of the common colony feeders with crickets and roaches. Supers are popular but he is on the small side for those. I would say give silkies a try. It will be harder but you are working with limited options.

I wasn't ruling out anything but crix and roaches. I was just saying that I'm so confused on what kind of worm I can breed, because every post I look at, they always say 'Hornworms are harder than silkworms' or 'Silkworms are soooo hard and expensive!'. I don't have money for a BioPod, I hardly have money for live feeders off the internet, which is why I need a colony.

I'm thinking supers and waxies. I've looked up info on them, saved a few pages, and as soon as summer is over (vacationing) I will start my colonies.

Thanks for the input, guys!

-- Jacqui

chadwick757

Hatchling Member
jacqui778":e1994 said:
chadwick757":e1994 said:

I wasn't ruling out anything but crix and roaches. I was just saying that I'm so confused on what kind of worm I can breed, because every post I look at, they always say 'Hornworms are harder than silkworms' or 'Silkworms are soooo hard and expensive!'. I don't have money for a BioPod, I hardly have money for live feeders off the internet, which is why I need a colony.

I'm thinking supers and waxies. I've looked up info on them, saved a few pages, and as soon as summer is over (vacationing) I will start my colonies.

Thanks for the input, guys!

-- Jacqui
I was actually commenting on how difficult it will be to find an easy feeder (because you ruled the main ones out ie. crickets and all roaches) you should know that waxies are not a good staple feeder viewtopic.php?p=820192 they are treats. Supers would be ok to get started but 15-16in is minimum for feeding those. Meal worms are also out because they are an impaction risk for beardies. this should give you some basic information to decide what would be worth breading http://www.feedersinc.com/recommended-feeders/bd/ this gives the common feeders nutritional value and ease of breeding. At this point I would say your best bet is to order hornworm or silkworm eggs and some food and hatch them yourself. You wouldn't have to breed them. Just grow them to the size you need. They have silkworm eggs here http://www.mulberryfarms.com 1000 for $15. The last option would be to cut down on the feeder price you are now paying. What state do you live in? who did you order from? and what were you paying? we can try to find you a better supplier.

mojo505

Hatchling Member
how many super worms a day would you feed a 9month old 19inch long female dragon? 1000 for $15 sounds like a better deal than my crickets and from what I understand they are more complete nutrition... is that correct?

chadwick757

Hatchling Member
I have found a couple places you should look into for feeders. First is http://www.tophatcrickets.com/thordcrx.htm then use the crickets online to place an order they have a link. "Our prices include free ground shipping to: Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Tennessee. " List price is $24 for 1k. Another one to consider is http://www.beechdaleanimalsupply.com/crickets.htm they are located in Pennsylvania and the prices seem to be good $18.50 for 1k crickets with sipping included. You could also call and see if they offer in state shipping discounts. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom