I Just Bought Some Dubia Roaches!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I went to the pet store today and they had baby Dubia roaches for sale. It was 4 dollars for 20 of them, so I bought two boxes, so now I have a total of 40 baby Dubias. I'm so excited! Anyway, my question is: how long does it take for them to mature? Is 40 enough to get the a colony going? Thanks! :D

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of Dubia!!! :blob5:
It takes several months for baby roaches to mature and be ready to breed. You can start a colony with 40, but it will take you about 8 months before your colony is large enough to feed off. You can go to http://www.theroachguy.com for lots of great info on dubia. I raise dubia and suggest you buy another 100 or so to give your colony a kick start so you can begin feeding off it sooner.

Hope that helps,

Eric

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for replying! I plan to get some more when they have them. They probably will in a couple days. I hope so....

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Anyone ever try breeding lateralis or Discoid roaches? Are they any good compared to lobsters and dubias?

patrickb

Juvie Member
I breed the lateralis and they are great roaches IMHO. They breed much faster than the dubia and one thing I really love about them is when you drop them in the enclosure, they hit the ground running and running and running, just like the Energizer bunny. :D They don't immediately seek shelter like other roaches or crickets will do. They keep looking for a way out. Really attracts the attention of the animals a lot. With that being said, they are fast as lightning and a lazy animal might have trouble catching them, though you can do things like squish their heads to keep them from running all over the place. They also can't climb glass or smooth plastic which is a huge plus in my book.

Lobsters (which I don't have experience with) breed just a bit faster than the Turks, are fast as well, and I believe they also don't go to hide immediately though I might be wrong on that part. The big downside to them is they can climb glass so you have to take extra steps to keep them contained in the enclosure and breeding bins.

Discoids are like smaller versions of Dubia. A little bit faster and smellier than the Dubias, but not too big of a difference from what I have read on them.

I personally am keeping the Turks and Dubia myself, though I plan on adding more species as pets in the near future. The Dubias are great if you only have dragons, as they can eat them from hatchling stage to full grown adults. If you have any smaller animals, then the Turks are nice because they are quite a bit smaller than the Dubias when newly born (almost pinhead cricket size) Also they don't do the hiding/burrowing/standing still like the Dubias so they are a great alternative. Variety in the diet also doesn't hurt, so get both! :p

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
No, Dubia are not hissing roaches. Hissers are huge and not generally used as feeders. Dubia are sweet, gentle roaches that resemble big rollie pollies IMO.

Eric

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Is it enough just to give my dubia fresh veggies and greens for moisture, or do they need water? Thanks!

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
I imagine if you gave them fresh moist veggies and fruit every day it could be enough moisture for them. I give mine lots of fresh food and they still end up consuming lots of water crystals. Dubia are an investment of time and money, I would be safe and give them fresh water along with the fresh food so they are given the best conditions within which to breed and provide your dragon with an endless supply of tasty morsels.

Eric

LittleRob

Hatchling Member
Fed mine hissing roaches once didn't go so well and seem like a bag of chips inflated with air but hollow inside. Anyways so do this dubias, are they a replacement to crikets. And do you guys still feed them crikets. Which are better food wise. healthier at least.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well, crickets are great, but roaches have more meat to shell ratio than crickets do. Pluse breeding roaches are a lot easier and they don't smell. You can gutload with the same stuff you feed to your crickets like low fat, crushed dog food, veggies and greens.

LQDragons

Juvie Member
Paradon":04bb4 said:
I went to the pet store today and they had baby Dubia roaches for sale. It was 4 dollars for 20 of them, so I bought two boxes, so now I have a total of 40 baby Dubias. I'm so excited! Anyway, my question is: how long does it take for them to mature? Is 40 enough to get the a colony going? Thanks! :D
if you don't mind me asking, what pet store ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom