I got my Solartech UVB meter, yayy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Hi guys, I finally broke down and purchased a Solartech 6.2 UVB meter. I have different bulbs coming in from all the manufacturers to test myself and plan on posting what I find. Let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas. Seems that all the manufactuters should be tested every year to re check the quality and output. I already checked my 2 1/2 year old Powersun I was using for a basking bulb and it had more UVB than a new Solar Glo, didn't expect that. Thought you might like to know.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I just checked out one of the new 100 watt T-Rex UV Heat economy bulbs, it reads 150 at 12" distance
direct sunlight at 9am reads 150, at Noon reads just over 300

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
cool! im excited to see the results. what kinds of numbers are ideal for beardies? I'll definately be following this thread

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I tested the Powersun 100watt and 160watt as well with similar readings right out of the box. After only 1 week, all have degraded about 10% after burning in. It will be interesting to find out how long they will have acceptable levels and which drops off or holds steady. I only wish I could test for harmful or excessive output but I haven't seen any reactions from any animals.

Next few lights I want to check are the no name bulbs like the Sun Force, Solar Brite and Sun Spot by Flukers. I have a feeling these all come from the same place but they deserve a chance against all the big names if they are safe and effective.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
There is no direct answer to that question from my findings, however, if you scroll down towards the bottom of, http://www.uvguide.co.uk/whatreptilesneed.htm , you will find this paragraph.
"Two of the current authors keep bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps) with access to a gradient of up to 200-300uW/cm² under mercury vapour lamps. All do bask, at times, right under their lamps in the zone of maximum UVB, but seem to spend most of their time in the regions where UVB levels are between 30 and 150 uW/cm²."

Ironically, the Reptisun 10s I have test 30 at 12" and the Powersuns test about 130 after being burned in.

The UV Guide UK is a must read site for all reptile keepers, and as they state on their site, proper reptile lighting is not a bulb, its a process and there is way more to it than most people realize. I would guess that at least half the people thinking they are lighting their animals correctly will realize the opposite after reviewing the UV Guide site.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
After talking to Tracie, we are both now getting the 6.5 Solartech meters so that we can test the UV index of these bulbs. Just because the available UV reads within a good range with the 6.2, if your dragon won't bask under them, then something must be wrong. I believe she will be testing the T Rex and Mega Ray to make sure they are safe due to their "fix" for the issues they've been having this year.

I have also been testing the Reptisun 10s and they seem to lose a lot of strength between 8" and 12" distance. Brand new, they read 140 at 6" and 40 at 12" so it is very important to give your dragon a UV gradient as well as a heat gradient so that they can get closer or further from the bulb if desired.

I am also testing out the reflectors I had made that go out 1 inch to the side of the Reptisun and then have a 45º angle, and go down 2". The reflectors are able to effectively double the amount of available UV light by redirecting it from the side at opposite angles down and into the bin or enclosure. So far I have decided to make these available to fit under the 2ft Walmart fixture. Let me know if anyone is interested in using a reflector so I can see if there is an economical way to manufacture them. I appreciate the input.

Cheryl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom