I got my Dubia~

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got 200 Dubia Roaches today. The bulk of them are medium to large nymphs, so they'll grow to adults and I'll get the max breeding time out of them.
Some really itty bitty ones are in there too, and they're really cute. There's one guy in there with wings, he's the only adult so far.

So far I've given them apples, which I'll take out before I go to bed to prevent mold, and Iams kibble, the puppy one, because it had like, 2% more protein.

I've got them in a big (Like, 30 gallon big) tote, about half to two thirds packed with standing egg crates.

Warm side - 83-87
Cool side - 68

I'm heating with a stick on Exo Terra 'Heat Wave' undertank heating pad, for desert or dry terrariums. It's only getting to 87 if I take the temp right down at the floor of it, right above the heat pad. Is there anything I can do to get the heat up? Do the egg crates hold heat at all?
I think I'll move them into my room, right beside the floor heater.

Any suggestions?

Superfictious

Original Poster
Yes, I'll be sure to watch the mold factor, thank you. 8]

It'll be easy. I have to stop myself from poking in at them. I like them already.

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
Keep the whole enclosure warm to hot (85-95 degrees). These guys LOVE the darkness and even more so the heat. This makes them WAY more active, which means they'll eat more, grow quicker and produce faster. Your not dealing w/ a reptile that needs a basking section and a cool section. Remember, when the lights are off these guys use their whole enclosure. They scuttle around everywhere.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Dubia's will not breed in temps under 70 degrees. And food such as fresh fruits and veggies have a 48 hour limit before you are risking a mold outbreak. Keep that in mind.

Good Luck!
-Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom