I don't know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasubi77

Sub-Adult Member
I just wanted to say that a lot of times with a rescue or recovery effort, it is two stesp forward, one step back. Don't get discouraged when he doesn't seem to be improving or even if things seem worse for a period. In a matter of a few days, he may be as good or even better than he ever was. So, please, don't give up hope. Keep working with this guy because I don't see any problems with him that can't be overcome with stellar husbandry and lots of love.

Best of luck!

Msbeth1990

Original Poster
Esther19":3fejigwl said:
How is your little guy doing?

He pooped. :lol: That's about it. No other changes. I got the light in and it won't fit my fixture. I have to buy another one.

Msbeth1990

Original Poster
Esther19":3cah3o8y said:
Yay for poopers!!! How long is your bulb? Wal-Mart has some great fixtures for around $10. They are for under-cabinet lighting. You can find them in the light bulb aisle. I mounted mine inside the tank with Command hooks. Remove the clear plastic shield from the fixture so it does not obstruct the UVB rays. Fast solution, relatively cheap. Best of luck, dear. Please keep us posted on how you and your boy are doing.

Esther

Still pooping. But his eyes have been closed for days now. It's been a month or more since he's acted normal and he's dry heaving too now.

It's starting to feel cruel to keep trying. He's in the bath now. I don't know what other choices I have but to keep him comfortable.

Msbeth1990

Original Poster
Esther19":2ezp6aa5 said:
I'm so sorry to hear that he is still doing poorly. Did you ever get his UVB operational?

No. I was told to wait two weeks. Which is in the next couple days.

I was told I could wait longer but I'm not sure if that's appropriate?

Msbeth1990

Original Poster
Esther19":3hbvfhmk said:
Well, dear, I wish I knew. They said you should wait at least 2 weeks, but that his eyes shouldbe healed. What a puzzlement! Has he stopped dry heaving?

Yes.

If it comes down to it, is there a way to peacefully and painlessly put dragons to sleep? :cry:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which basking bulb are you using for him now?
You did get the Reptisun 10 tube bulb, correct? You can go ahead & try to place it over him now, perhaps it might help him out now. I am not understanding why he is keeping his eyes closed.
What are the temperature in his tank right now? Do his eyes look like they have discharge in them or are they swollen?
Has he been eating anything?
If he is not eating, I recommend getting chicken or turkey baby food along with some squash baby food to help him out along with some calcium powder mixed in. Use a plastic dropper or syringe for him.
As for the light not fitting the fixture, you can find other sizes/lengths at Home Depot or Lowes.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Msbeth1990

Original Poster
Drache613":2znt99mj said:
Hello,

Which basking bulb are you using for him now?
You did get the Reptisun 10 tube bulb, correct? You can go ahead & try to place it over him now, perhaps it might help him out now. I am not understanding why he is keeping his eyes closed.
What are the temperature in his tank right now? Do his eyes look like they have discharge in them or are they swollen?
Has he been eating anything?
If he is not eating, I recommend getting chicken or turkey baby food along with some squash baby food to help him out along with some calcium powder mixed in. Use a plastic dropper or syringe for him.
As for the light not fitting the fixture, you can find other sizes/lengths at Home Depot or Lowes.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

I'm using a regular house bulb for a basking light now. I was told it was OK.

Yes I have the R10.

His current temperatures are 95 Hot, 80 Cold.

His eyes are not swollen. They have a little crust at randomly after baths and misting. I clean them, his eyes remain closed.

I've been using the syringe but he still won't start to eat on his own...that I see anyway.

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Didja get the reptisun10.0 mounted? If so is it within 6-8 inches of him and unobstructed?

Your basking temp should be 105-110 otherwise babies have a hard time digesting solid food.

Kalyn

Msbeth1990

Original Poster
Kalyn876":2h8pgj11 said:
Didja get the reptisun10.0 mounted? If so is it within 6-8 inches of him and unobstructed?

Your basking temp should be 105-110 otherwise babies have a hard time digesting solid food.

Kalyn

Yep. The R10 is fine.

He's not a newborn. He's over 6 months now. Unless you just mean young? His tank typically 95 - 105. It's only 95 when the A/C is on.

I've not had an issue yet with it as it is. His digestion I mean.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing tonight?
Are you using any saline solution on his eyes to help? I am sorry that they are still bothering him a little bit right now. You could try getting a couple of herbal tea bags & moisten them with warm water & put over his eyes at night before bedtime to help his eyes. Put a towel over them to hold the heat & moisture in to see if that helps.
Try to keep his basking temps at least in the range of 95-98 to ensure he stays warm enough.

Tracie

Msbeth1990

Original Poster
Drache613":2gyafusn said:
Hello,

How is he doing tonight?
Are you using any saline solution on his eyes to help? I am sorry that they are still bothering him a little bit right now. You could try getting a couple of herbal tea bags & moisten them with warm water & put over his eyes at night before bedtime to help his eyes. Put a towel over them to hold the heat & moisture in to see if that helps.
Try to keep his basking temps at least in the range of 95-98 to ensure he stays warm enough.

Tracie

He's no different.

I've been trying the heat and moisture thing but I stopped. All it did was make his eyes crusty?

His basking temps are high enough.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Were the eyes starting to clear up though? How is he doing today?
Try some sterile saline solution for him, daily to help with his eyes, also.
How is his appetite coming along?

Tracie

Msbeth1990

Original Poster
Drache613":2n2dbp3q said:
Hello,

Were the eyes starting to clear up though? How is he doing today?
Try some sterile saline solution for him, daily to help with his eyes, also.
How is his appetite coming along?

Tracie

I don't know if his eyes are clearing up. Haven't seen them in...a week about. I said they were crusty because I could see the crust while his eyes were closed.

He won't move. He won't do anything.

He's worse then he was before. He won't eat and he's lost weight.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If he is not eating, you will need to try & assist feed him to help him out. Being under the bad lighting, causes horrible illness for them. He needs nutrition to help his immune system out.
You are using a bright white basking light, correct?
You will need to try & use some warm water to get his eyes cleaned out, daily or they are going to completely stick shut. Did you get any saline solution yet?

Tracie

Msbeth1990

Original Poster
Drache613":14e499ta said:
Hello,

If he is not eating, you will need to try & assist feed him to help him out. Being under the bad lighting, causes horrible illness for them. He needs nutrition to help his immune system out.
You are using a bright white basking light, correct?
You will need to try & use some warm water to get his eyes cleaned out, daily or they are going to completely stick shut. Did you get any saline solution yet?

Tracie

I've done and have been doing everything you said in this post. If I didn't answer before sorry....could've sworn I did..........Nothing is working.

I changed from red to white the day you told me too. I've done everything between this forum and the vet and nothing is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom