i dont know what this growth is...help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ker6176

so we have 3 babies. dewie, dunnie and twitch. they get along great. dewie is the largest, dunnie the girl and twitch is about the size of my pinky. recently he has been eatting more, energetic, and running alot but has some strange growth under his arm.

they have 2 repti sun uvb 10.0 bulbs. 2 reptiglo uva bulbs. baths daily, eatting 10-15 lg crickets and wax worms each. they are in a 75 gallon tank with everything they could possibley need. they eat constant vegies as snacks and are very affectionate. this growth isnt changing him attitude wise but when he touches it to something he looks like it hurts a little bit. i cannot find a good reptile vet anywhere in pittsburgh and i have no clue what to do. we were hoping it was just a bite from a bug or small burn and it would peel when he shed...but he isnt shedding. a whole month nothing. his humidity is between 40-70. he gets 14 hours of light and 10 of dark. is tank is 100 on the jungle side and 80 on the desert. it cant be environmental because only he has one! if anyone knows a reptile vet in pittsburgh or what it is and how to get rid of it....i would truely appreciate it.

i put for comparison his right and left sides. it is directly under his arm pit!
HELP!!!!!!!

fortwitch002.jpg

twitchgrowth-1.jpg

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Okay I just typed up this whole thing and the computer lost it. Anyway, get rid of the reptiglo uva bulb--it isnt any good for the fdragon and with your repti sun 10.0 and a basking bulb (reg 60 watt household bulb) you don't need it. ANyway, one thing off the bat is the humidity, way too high should be no more than 45% humidity. Also 3 dragons should not be housed together.
Answer the following questions so we can help you better:
how old is your dragon? how long have you had it?
what do you feed your dragon? How often?
what is the substrate (on bottom of cage)?
do you use calcium and vitamins? name and brand?
do you bathe it? How often?
Basking side temps? Cool side temps?
How do you take the temp? (stick on dial, digital with probe, infrared)?
When was the dragons last poop?
do you gutload the dragons feeders?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Kris I have been baffled and trying to find you an answer sense you posted this thread and it does have me drove I must say.

Can I ask do you have all of those bulbs on one enclosure?
In all the reading that I did sense I read your post the only thing I could come up with was a possible tumor or cyst...which might be cause by overdose of UVB. I'm really not sure only speculating but if nothing else my post with bump your thread.

What does it feel like? I know it's a little baby and rather hard to feel such a small area but is it hard?
Like is there a knot under the skin?

HandH

i would take him the pet store and ask if they know also take it to your local Reptile Vet if you have one. :D

Pleaides

Juvie Member
hello
ok firstly im from the uk so really havent a clue on where to find a vet in your area, however i would like to give you some advice on what needs to be changed about your husbandry and i hope you dont take this the wrong way but loads and loads of beginners get bad advice at the start.

Ker6176":d9777 said:
so we have 3 babies. dewie, dunnie and twitch. they get along great. dewie is the largest, dunnie the girl and twitch is about the size of my pinky.

first. 3 dragons in one enclosure? they are solitary and territorial cretaures and will at some point dominate each other in some way and stress each other out, one of them will be the biggest and the other 2 will suffer because of this. i can guarantee you a fight on your hands, maybe even to the point of severe injury or even death, not trying to scare you either these are facts, it may not happen this year or even next year, hell they may live together well for the next 5 years but at some point they will fight so i highly recommend seperating them immediately and you will find they will thrive soo much better.

they have 2 repti sun uvb 10.0 bulbs. 2 reptiglo uva bulbs. baths daily,

ok 2 UVBs? 2 UVAs? hmm only 1 UVB per reptile, per vivarium is needed, the reptisun 10.0 is the best tube bulb you can get for them. get rid of the reptiGLOs immediately and these are known to cause health problems. in conjunction with the reptiSUN you will still need a white basking bulb ok, a regular household bulb will do the trick.

eatting 10-15 lg crickets and wax worms each.

this is a little concerning as you said they are babies and one is the size of your pinky and their eating large crickets??? the rule is the insect cannot be no longer/ bigger than the space between the beardies eyes otherwise its a high risk for impaction. also wax worms should only be given as a treat as they are extremely fattening and can be bad for their livers in the long run. also dusting the livefood with calcium 5x a week and multi-vitamins 2x a week is essential to their health.

they eat constant vegies as snacks
veggies and greens should be offered daily and not as a treat, here is a list thats got fantastic information on whats the best thing they can eat and what they should never ever be allowed to eat. http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutritionframeset.html

his humidity is between 40-70. he gets 14 hours of light and 10 of dark. is tank is 100 on the jungle side and 80 on the desert. it cant be environmental because only he has one!

as the above poster stated their humidity ideally should not be no higher than 40% on the cool side and no higher than 50% on the warm side. otherwise they are at risk of getting upper respirectory infections. 14 hrs of day and 10 hrs of bight is perfect though. when you say 100 on the jungle side and 80 on the desert, what do you mean? they are purely desert creatures, therefore high temperatures and low humidity is what they need, how are you measuring their temps? probe or round stick on thing? the round stick-ons can be as much as 20 degrees out. their cool ends should be around 80f, warm ends around 90f and basking areas as their babies should be around 105-110f.
also you said 'it cant be environmental cos only he has one?' what do you mean by this? is this the jungle and desert thing again?
well i hope ive helped you some with your babies and i hope you find a good herp vet to get him checked as i definitely think he needs it.
good luck and keep us posted on them!
:D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

My thoughts are it could be either a cyst, or tumor of some type. Or it could be an injury/bite from one of the other dragons.
Is it hard or soft to the touch?

Is he eating normally?
The insects such as a cricket or a roach should be no larger than the space between the eyes to avoid impaction issues. Soft bodied insects such as phoenix worms or butter worms can be given to juvies without much danger of impaction. You could look into giving some phoenix worms to babies, they are tiny.

Could you post a picture of your tank setup for us?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom