I don't know exactly how to diagnose this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne1985

I’ve had BDs for 7 years now and have been quite successful in the their care taking. I have encounter a problem that I have no idea how to solve, maybe someone here can help. I currently have a Chris Allen X Flaming Tiger cross about 10 inches from nose to tail that has developing signs of calcium deficiency and would not eat anything dusted with a supplement. He has been eating fresh greens daily and crickets (undusted) every other day. He has been twitching his muscles a lot lately, so I went and bought a calcium supplement in a spray form made by ZILLA. I've never heard of it before, but figured I would give it a try. I followed the instructions and sprayed the food and allowed 15 seconds before placing in the tank with him. He ate a salad in the AM, and then ate 5-10 wax worms in the PM. Unknowing that he had already eaten some wax worms my girlfriend fed him more when she got home. She can't recall exactly how many though, but my guess judging from the amount left in the container, I'd say he ate around 20-25. My best guess is that he has just over eaten, but it has been 24 hours and he has still not passed anything. I soaked him in warm water, and still can’t get the little guy to poop. All he is doing is basking under his light and twitching. Any suggestions on how to make him pass some food so he will be able to run around and burn some calories?

This is what I see:
IMG_0005.jpg

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
In addition to giving him warm baths, try gently massaging his belly from armpit to vent (in that direction). This should help his digestive system move things along.

What I'd been doing with Pookie when he hasn't gone potty in a week is to administer water via a medicine dropper (plastic, of course). He never took to drinking in the bath or out of a dish, so the dropper was my last resort - and thank goodness he drank from it. I give him 1.5 to 2.0 ml once a day.

You could also give him a few drops of olive oil if water doesn't do the trick.

I'm sure he'll pass the worms soon. His system isn't used to that much food at one time and is just taking a little longer to process them.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, the info that Gina gave you should really help. I noticed that his eyes look irritated, since there are some that are dangerous, could you fill us in on the brand & type of UVB you're using like coil, compact, strip fluorescent or mercury vapor bulb?

wayne1985

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, I will massage and soak and see what poops out. Hah.

His eyes are fine, I think I just got a bad picture. I use a florescent bulb that was recommended for dessert reptiles. I forget which one exactly, but its made by ReptiGlo.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, if you look on the side of the bulb, the brand and % of output should be printed right there, example: 5.0, 8.0, 10.0. Also, how close is the UVB to the basking area?

wayne1985

Original Poster
I had to pull the bulb out and rotate it. It is a 10.0 and is approximately 14 inches from the tallest rock he basks on.

wayne1985

Original Poster
What bulb do you recommend? I've used the ReptiGlo's ever since I can remember for all of my dragons.

chadwick757

Hatchling Member
Your bulb is also too far away to do any good. Should be closer to 6-8 from his basking area. and if its not a repti sun 10.0 or an arcadia then its probably not a good fluorescent.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
if you buy a reptisun I highly reccomend you buy from petmountain.com. They are half the price of a pet store. They also have supplements, etc at a great price (at least compared to what I find near me).

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I agree with all of the above I do want to add one more thing.The spray calcium for te veggies isnt the greatest in getting them the required calcium.I recommend just getting him some liquid calcium/Calcium Glubionate like this:
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Meds.html#CalciumGluconate or even some Bone-Aid liquid calcium.You have to administer it orally but it will yield far better results IMO.Also with the possible impaction issue I have always found that a little babyfood squash mixed with a few drops of olive oil can help greatly in addition to the baths and massages.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
wayne1985":8bbad said:
What bulb do you recommend? I've used the ReptiGlo's ever since I can remember for all of my dragons.
The Repti-Glo 8.0 is an ok bulb but the Repti-Sun 10.0 is the best fluorescent you can get in the U.S. Since there have been issues with the Repti-Glo 10.0, the safest way to use that until you get a replacement is to make sure it is right alongside a bright white basking bulb and is 10" from that basking area. Since the Repti-Sun 10.0 is a much safer bulb, the distance for that one is best at 6 to 8" from the basking site.

wayne1985

Original Poster
UPDATE: Nubby has been pooping and is eating regularly again. The massages and squash baby food worked well along with the warm baths. Thanks everyone!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
wayne1985":d5fda said:
UPDATE: Nubby has been pooping and is eating regularly again. The massages and squash baby food worked well along with the warm baths. Thanks everyone!
Thats great!Thanks for the updates :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom