I did an oopsie with a trip - advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Soo I was going to be gone for just 48 hours, so I got up saturday morning, set their heat lamps on timers figured that would be okay for a few days, left them their food and took off.

Now the oopsie part. PLEASE LEARN FROM ME: Mistake #1 - I forgot to check my AC/Heat - it was still on AC which means my apartment got down and stayed in the 60's thanks to the lovely snow. Good news though is that it didn't get lower than that since I'm sandwiched between 1st/3rd floors.

Mistake #2 - I set the timers but didn't turn the powerstrips on... sooo the boys got no heat while I was gone from their lamps.

I came home to 4 very black and cold dragons. They were not happy with me. I'm glad I was only gone 48 hours but I feel really really bad. I put each one into a warm bath for about 15 minutes each to bring their body cores back up. Then I turned on all their lights and left them basking for a few hours before I fed them. Now they seem pretty content but I still feel bad.

Sooooo if you leave your lamps on timers for a trip... TEST THEM to see if they are done right. The timers were right but the power strips weren't on. Then... check your thermostat!!! Here in NC we fluctuate soo much I can have the AC on one day and have to turn the heat on the next.

I hope my boys will be okay - they are all back to their normal colors. Thoughts?

MagillaGorilla

Hatchling Member
just happy that you got back within two days =D

i live in massachusetts and i know how winters make the care for your beardies more difficult.

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Glad they are ok and that it was nothing really really serious. Posting this makes us all aware that there are some things we overlook even though you plan ahead. :|

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Aw, thanks for sharing.

I'm sure that they will be just fine - cold blooded animals can go a bit without heat and food, safely.
Lessons learned, so we all know it won't happen again!!
You owe them a wax worm or something special, though!!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom