I bought a very sick beardie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hate to hear stories like this, that is too bad!
I agree, she did not get like that in that short amount of time. Though being shipped definitely didn't help her out, she was likely a breeder, etc that was not wanted any longer. They have no excuse for shipping her in that condition.
Which UVB light do you plan to use for her? I would definitely try to keep her on the carnivore care & slurries for awhile, she needs the nutrition. Hydration is essential right now & go easy on protein for a few days to be sure she is well hydrated.
Let us know how she is doing. Keep her a little warmer overnight right now, around 80, to help boost her immune system.

Tracie

doch

Original Poster
I've got the reptisun 5.0 t5ho right now. It came with the fixture that I bought. I ordered a 10.0 online because but it came smashed... And I was so busy this week I totally forgot to grab another. Good idea about the warmth at night... I'll pick up a new fixture and set her up.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
doch":srvowws3 said:
Right out of the vet we had "Carnivore Care" powder that she was eating (by force) via syringe. We ran out, and now are force feeding her a blend of baby food, beardie pellets, a touch of olive oil to lube up the poops and some vitamins. She does eat a small amount on her own... but a very small amount. Seems to have little to no interest in bugs (although I did see her chase and catch one cricket), but eats a very small amount of veggies most days. When she has her mouth gaped open I'll sometimes sneak a wax worm or super worm in there and she'll swallow it... but has no interest in the ones in her bowl. Maybe she's just playing me to hand feed her? hahaha

They were each in a 15"x5"x5" box, separate. The boxes were then in a larger styrofoam box taped shut. No holes, no heat packs, no water.

I thought chicken was no good for them... am I wrong?

Poor little things , it's a wonder they each survived the hardshops of their shipping, I have heard how FedEx operates and no live animal should be entrusted to that mob .... some breeders are ar$eholes , you might have got a response if you contacted your bank and stopped payment on the grounds that you did not receive what you expected (two healthy beardies).

I suggest buying more carnivore care , and if this is vet only there in Canada, a big pack of Repashi BugPie and VetaFarm HerpaBoost and keep up with the forced feeding by syringe.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AHBD":3tp9gm01 said:
It takes much longer than 5 days to get to that condition. Not even in 2 weeks would a healthy dragon go down to where the pelvic bones + ribs show that much. More like months for that to happen. The 5 days in the box was bad, although they can actually breathe because the boxes are not airtight. If the weather was too hot it would have killed them both, being cool is better but not cold. I just can't fathom that he was so cheap that he had them delivered ground and let them go through that experience. They can do fine with no food or water for 5 days, they are built for it, so what happened to the female was already done back at the breeder's place.
When I was compelled to spend a month in hospital in October last year because I had an SI & a bad case of cellulitis, and needed intravenous anitbiotics , my boy Toothless went on a hunger strike and refused to eat anything fr my wife. He looked just as in good condition after as he did before despite a month of refusing to eat and pining for his absent daddy..

This has been a long term wasting and period of bad health, likely untreated. I think more like several months to reach the condition you describe.... she's lucky to be in your care as she would have lasted much longer and would died through neglect otherwise.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
doch":164319hf said:
I've got the reptisun 5.0 t5ho right now. It came with the fixture that I bought. I ordered a 10.0 online because but it came smashed... And I was so busy this week I totally forgot to grab another. Good idea about the warmth at night... I'll pick up a new fixture and set her up.
Mount it (the 5% UVB tube) closer to her basking spot (want about 150 microW UVB/ sq-cm). I'm guessing but maybe 6 inches from her basking until the 10% tube can be put in service then you need to raise the fitting to the recommended height for that tube.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah 6'' is about right. That will produce around 4 UVI which is good for basking. The 10.0 tube will give you the same effect at about 12''.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
doch":358lzhyc said:
I contacted the seller immediately after finding out that they were shipped via ground... no reply. I have sent several messages since, no reply. Phoned... no answer. Called the police, they are "too busy". Called and filed a complaint for animal cruelty... not sure if they will actually do anything... They sent my complaint to the investigations department.

The name of the Seller is "Bearded Dragons Canada". If that needs to be removed... I'm sorry. Hopefully saying that is not against a policy.

I will post pics when I have a chance. My daughter and her Mom are currently taking care of them while I'm out of town.

Hi Do you mean Capital Dragons? I am from ottawa but they are located in Peterborough?
Nat

doch

Original Poster
nathb1":zywalaa8 said:
Hi Do you mean Capital Dragons? I am from ottawa but they are located in Peterborough?
Nat

No. Capital Dragons sounds like they are the real deal. I wish I would have gone through them.

If you Google search "Bearded Dragons Canada" this "company" shows up about 5 down or so... it's a link to a facebook page with the same name "Bearded Dragons Canada".

In retrospect there were a lot of signs pointing that I should have avoided this d-bag... but hind sight is 20/20.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
My god what a horrible story, and a horrible case of animal abuse! FedEx ground is meant for "stuff", not live creatures! I wouldn't be so worried about the 5 day trip (though little air, too hot or cold temperatures, no water, no food is awful), but rather the fact that the FedEx ground guys literally just throw and toss boxes around, into the truck, out of the truck, they don't take care of stuff even when it's marked "Fragile". I certainly hope the box was at least marked "Fragile" or "Live Animal", but I'm guessing with this piece of garbage it wasn't.
I hope they didn't get thrown all over the place for 5 days. As already mentioned this was illegal, you can't ship live creatures that way. If you could have stopped payment or still can I absolutely would. You absolutely can still stop it if you used your credit card or bank account, all you would have to do is tell them this story and that the seller disappeared and will not return phone calls or emails. I'm sure they will show back up quickly once they lose the money. But they sold you two animals that are obviously older than they told you they were, one of which was horribly sick, malnourished and emaciated, and near death, and that required expensive, specialized medical care. Again, if you paid them with PayPal, a credit card, or a bank account, you need to call them ASAP and have the payment stopped/challenged. Take photos of the boxes and the dragons, along with a copy of the vet bill to show ages and her condition. 2-3 weeks is not too long to stop payment.

She's a very beautiful leatherback! I'm afraid the poor ADULT (definitely much over a year old) girl was bred to death, became malnourished, emaciated, dehydrated, and developed severe calcium and vitamin deficiencies BECAUSE SHE WAS OVERBRED TO DEATH (almost literally), and they passed her off on you no doubt for a pretty penny as a young-juvenile, healthy dragon. These deficiencies and the malnourishment I'm afraid developed over months and months of neglect and over breeding, which is why I'm saying she's much older than a year. She's a beautiful leatherback that they probably got close to 200 clutches from in one season, sold each baby for $$$hundreds$$$ of dollars, then threw her away like a living baby incubator ? And god knows if she even had any UVB light at all, let alone a good one. I'm pissed right now. Heading to their Facebook page soon.

Did the vet say anything about calcium injections or liquid calcium? Her weight is obviously going up, the Reptisun 10.0 UVB will help her quite a bit (the 5.0 is for tropical reptiles), if her temperature gradient and her basking spot temperature are correct and she keeps getting calcium w/D3 supplements AND a very good Reptile/Bearded Dragon Multivitamin/Mineral Supplement like Herpavite or Repashy us Calcium in her slurries/smoothies (I hope you got her a Multivitamin/Mineral Supplement to add to her smoothies daily) because if you discontinued the Critical Care that's okay to make homemade smoothies as long as you're adding a pinch of a reptile Multivitamin/Mineral Supplement to it each time, she needs it badly and that's what the Critical Care has that babyfood and veggies don't, and it's a big part of the twitching and flopping. It's not a neurological issue per second, but rather a calcium/vitamin/UVB deficiency combo. So please make sure you buy a good multivitamin as already mentioned above and add a pinch along with a calcium with D3 supplement to each homemade smoothie you give her. This should eventually remedy her uncontrollable movements if combined with a Reptisun 10.0 UVB for 12-14 hours a day. Try to get her a few hours outside in natural sunlight until that Reptisun 10.0 comes, as the natural sunlight is better than the 5.0 light.

I'm rooting for her, I hope you do everything you can to prosecute those *****s and stop your payment immediately. MAKE THEM SQUIRM! I'm going to go do my part on their Facebook page now. I'm sure they're still actively posting on Facebook, Craigslist, etc., selling the hundreds of babies they got from that beautiful girl before using her up, neglecting and abusing her, and throwing her away...????☠

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
So "Bearded Dragons Canada" in Toronto? They haven't posted on their Facebook page since September of last year, and they don't seem to be responding to any visitor posts either...How did you contact them in order to buy the dragons from them? Do they have a separate webpage or did you just send private messages back and forth?

They don't outwardly look like they are currently doing any business at all, but I guess they are obviously doing a TON of breeding and selling on the down-low, through emails and private messages...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Makes me wonder if they are actually breeders or just reptile flippers making money off of rehoming dragons.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
doch":2vn7e9fb said:
nathb1":2vn7e9fb said:
Nat

No. Capital Dragons sounds like they are the real deal. I wish I would have gone through them.

If you Google search "Bearded Dragons Canada" this "company" shows up about 5 down or so... it's a link to a facebook page with the same name "Bearded Dragons Canada".

In retrospect there were a lot of signs pointing that I should have avoided this d-bag... but hind sight is 20/20.

aww yeah sorry, also red hot chilli dragons have great reviews right here in Ottawa.Also A&A dragons looks good .
Sorry about your ordeal I would leave a comment on their facebook page about your experience.

Hopefully the female will pull through they might look weak but its amazing with right care/heat and food will make a difference if nothing physically is wrong with her. She is a beauty but looks worn out....

nathb1

Hatchling Member
CooperDragon":19mep932 said:
Makes me wonder if they are actually breeders or just reptile flippers making money off of rehoming dragons.

Yeah its a bit sketchy no reviews not many comments on their page....

nathb1

Hatchling Member
doch":3natn4bi said:
nathb1":3natn4bi said:
Nat

Where are you located?Ooops you stated edmonton.. ok !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom