I am totally clueless as to what this is... pls help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

twynkle

This will be a fairly long post because so many things have happened and i don't know what will relate to each other.
regular beardy named mica
she is in a 20 gallon hab
she is a girl
she is about 9 weeks old
she has a 150 watt bulb
* a zilla slimline desert fixture with a desert 50 uvb bulb long tube
*her blue bear
*temps are 110-112 in basking, 95ish on hot side and 80ish on cool side, daytime. night time are about 73-75.
*eating (was) crickets (with calcium dust and gut loaded with fluckers orange cricket feed and mica salad. vitamin dust 1x a week) and pheonix worms with mix of kale, turnip greens and mustard (with calcium spray).
*she is on a 11-12 on and 12-13 off on her lights
*was 9g and 6.25 inches long (with tail) 2.25 inches (without tail) and she is now 7g

this started about 2 weeks after i got her. she was eating about 20ish crickets a day and a few bites of salad then suddenly stopped, nothing was changed at all. She stopped eating entirely and of course i freaked but friend who breads beardies said she was probably about to shed and it was normal. 3-4 days later she was eating 1-2 crickets a day then she shed massively, legs arms, belly , back, everything but tail and head. after her shed she started eating about 6-10 crickets a day for a few days then less and less till her normal diet became 3-4 crickets and a few bites of salad and no more worms at all. this went on til last week, and again friend said it coming up on winter and girls get moody then. 7 days ago she dropped to 1 cricket and nothing else. 4 days ago a moth got in her hab and she downed it like crazy but that was all she would eat. 3 days ago i was so worried because again nothing i got a moth from outside to give her and she jumped for it missed and layed down. yesterday i made her eat 2 crickets by putting them in her mouth. she chewed them up but didnt act like she wanted more and tried to spit out the 2nd one. today i went to store and got fluckers repta+boost fed her this afternoon and this evening about 1 1/2 cc a meal.
Her activity levels where similar to the feeding levels. she was lazy and basking in the heat and then when her appetite decreased her activity level and liveliness did as well. right now she will move around her hab but only to go from hot to cold. yesterday she barely moved her head today after feeding she is holding her head high as well as her upper body (yay for improvement) At first (doing all the reading) i thought she might have had a problem with the uvb light (was a zilla desert 50 coil) so we changed it to the slim line about 5-6 days ago. then 3 days ago i noticed her hiding in a corner and behind her tree (she had a tree it is not in there now) so i added that to her symptoms and that came up brumation even tho she is a juvenile. so again called my friend she looked at her and said she was still healthy and probably just winter coming but to keep an eye out. in 3 days she has lost 2 grams of weight so i took her to friend again today and friend said she was dehydrated and we started the repta boost. when we feed her she got really stressed out like from chin to vent dark gray and lines very dark. they were gone when i feed her tonight. after i feed her again the lines came back. i feed her, bathed her (to get food off her and to give her extra water) and put her in her hab. i went back about 30 min later to check on her and the grey spread to her face and head and her eyes looked sunken and grey and her tummy was still dark. so now im freaked out because i have no idea why her face turned grey or if she will be alright. this has taken me a long time to write and now her face is only slightly gray (nose mainly) and stress lines have gone down (feed her a few hours ago) but not all the way. She seems to be improving except the colors on her face. im calling the vet in the morning but i wanted to know if anyone had any ideas for tonight. thanks in advance for any help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would first turn off the Zilla UVB light. Unfortunately, these bulbs are hazardous to them as they emit low wavelength frequency of UVB & borderline UVC levels. All of the Zilla lights, coil & tubes are horrible & need to be taken off of the market. The only acceptable one on the market really is the Reptisun 10 tube bulb right now.
Just use a basking light right now. It needs to be a bright white basking light, not a colored light.
What type of thermometer do you use to measure the temperatures right now? A digital probe or a temp gun, or a stick on type?

I would continue with the Repta aid to help rehydrate her. If she is not eating very much, you can use some baby food such as chicken or turkey baby food along with squash baby food to help her out. You can mix her calcium & vitamins up with it as well. Is her beard dark also?
She is way way too young for brumation so that is definitely not a possibility right now.
Let us know how she does at the vets.

Tracie

minipumpkin

Hatchling Member
just too add what Tracie said, you eed to check them temps, 150w bulb for a 20 gallon viv??? i have a 80-90 gallon viv which is run by a 75w bulb and i get temps of 105-110.

could you post a pic of your set up please.

twynkle

Original Poster
Thank you for replying. I use a stick thermometer with a humidity gage. Like u put outside. Kk ill keep light off and order new one. I use a zilla bulb its colored blue and shines white. Guess I should change that one too?

minipumpkin

Hatchling Member
yes the bulb needs to be a white light like any normal house hold bulb.(not a coil)

have you tryed giving her a bath if she is dhydrated that could help. use a tub fill it up to sholder hight of warm water (baby warm about 80f i think)

also try get a thermometer with probe they are much better i think iv herd people say they are $5 at walmart but im from the uk so not too sure

minipumpkin

Hatchling Member
ok just had a look, where is the uvb? is it that bit on the front right?? if not then, the uvb needs to be where the basking area is so that when they are basking they get the uvb they need. also uvb can not pass thought glass or plastic so if there is anything between the uvb and your beardie then the uvb wouldnt get to your beardie.

minipumpkin

Hatchling Member
not too sure what else, have you tryed feeding her a worm not meal worms or super worms as she is too young, but maybe Calci-Worms same species as Phoenix worms, wax worms(these are really fatty so dont feed to many and they kind of get addicted to them)

sorry cant help much more i think what Tracie said would help most about the uvb. over here in the uk our best is the arcardia 12 tube and i think the one poeple use in the usa is the Reptisun 10 tube uvb failling that i think its the Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 uvb but im not sure about the zoo med

twynkle

Original Poster
yeah i changed the basking bulb already and i will take back the slimline and get a reptisun one. i was more or less wondering what the gray on her face was. is it stress creeping up her neck to her head? gonna call the vet in the morning to see if he wants to see her. i feel bad i changed out the "bad" coil bulb bc she wasnt getting enough uvb according to the test that have been done only to replace it with something that may very well have made her sicker. I thank you so much for your time and wisdom. you guys are awesome! ill post updates as she hopefully gets better.

minipumpkin

Hatchling Member
get a picture of the stress marks and we can have a look i dont think i would be going to the vet just yet but that is your call. it is good that your on this site and wanting to understand whats going on and how to my your beardie happy so for that your doing a good job so dont feel too bad on your self and most pet store know nothing and will feed you anything to make you buy stuff which is useless.

twynkle

Original Poster
i will try to get a picture of her stress marks a lil later she asleep for the night and i dont wanna make it worse on her. u know an 45 min trip to town to be looked at and forcefed reptiboost then a 45 min trip home to be feed it again 5 hours later and mommy picking her up to see her stress marks every hour is probably enough for the poor thing. ill grab a picture at lights on tho. im hoping it will a be gone tho. u think i should give it a couple days on the vet? i need to order the bulb u guys suggest can i take her out side tomorrow for bit to get good uvb? it will be about 60-70 tomorrow afternoon. i know its cold but idk how to get her the uvb she needs right this second lol. by the way the gray has gone down from her head since i posted this yay. and she did perk up a bit after feedings even tho she was mad.... oh so mad.. she bit my syringe...at least she is still fiesty. forgive my ramblings i just miss my baby being healthy.

minipumpkin

Hatchling Member
yes if its 70f take her out for a little she will be a little cold but 70f is what the cool side of the viv should be anyway. 1 day with out uvb shouldnt hurt too much. cant you get the bulb from petco? i think thats the one i hear people talking about most of the time(not saying good things but i think thats what the store is called) couldnt you get it there? **edit**http://www.petco.com/product/102889...B-Bulb-for-Reptiles.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

yeah i would wait a day or 2 and see how she reacts when you get the new bulbs but if she goes down hill fast then vet asap.

keep offering her food and hopfully she will start eating again :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
The stick on type of thermometer is probably pretty inaccurate. Please try to find a digital probe or a temp gun for better accuracy.
For that size of tank, you would only need a 75 watt to get the temperatures to a 95-110 range.
Please let us know how he is doing today.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom