I am getting tired of pet stores and stupid breeders!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lillylizard

Sub-Adult Member
Okay so i honestly think that breeders of any animal should need a bloody license, but also the pet stores should need licenses too to sell the different animals. I am tired of seeing reptiles and other animals that are way to young to be sold sitting in cages. Breeders who sell their animals off so young are heartless and only in it for a quick buck. All pet stores should need licenses for different types of animals because maybe if they had to pay money for the darn license, and there were higher charges for breaking that law then maybe stores like petsmart, petland, petco, percetera, and others may actually care about the animals they have in their darn stores! Is there any way to get things to change, to make people of power see that things are wrong and need to change.
Any views?

SkeptiBee

Hatchling Member
The only thing we can try and do is educate people about these issues and work by forming large groups to file complaints. You get enough individuals together and you can get companies to change policies. Honestly, there are still a lot of people who look at small animals (rodents, birds, reptiles) as being easy, expendable pets. Johnny's hamster died? Oh well, we can just go get another.

Far as I'm concerned attitudes need to change on both the owner and seller side. I, for one, I'm tired of seeing owners buying or adopting animals, only to get rid of them a year later because it no longer entertains them or they don't have time for it (baby, new animal... take your pick), or whatever else excuse. The second it inconveniences them, out it goes. I don't want to hear how haaaaaard it is taking care of bird or snake. As a person who owned and was financially responsible for a horse in her teens, those people get zero sympathy from me. The ONLY exception for me is if someone loses their job. It's understandable if you can no longer care for them when your own belt is cinching.

I'm not sure just how you can change people to actually care. You can give them all the feedback in the world, send them to classes to be certified for pet ownership, or whatever else. It's no guarantee that six months later they will follow through with proper care. It's sad really. But some humans just should not be permitted to have animals. Generally, I find those same people shouldn't be permitted to have children either. :p

lillylizard

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
It is so true. The people i got Gypsy from were getting rid of her because their son need room in his room for a drum set and wanted to use the money he got from selling her for a drum set. But when i got her she was skinny, under fed, full of parasites, and much more. And i am 17 and have been caring for two bearded dragons just fine. I went into a PetCetera today and got so mad. Not only was the dorky little tank screen i needed $30, but all their animals looked sad. So i left and went to Pet Traders pet store and rescue. Wow there was such a difference. You can tell the difference between a store that just wants to make money and puts their animals on display and a shop that cares about the animals and is selling stuff at a fair price. The screen that was $30.00 at PetCetera was $9.99 at Pet Traders. And all the animals at Pet Traders looked happy. I wish people would just do the research and learn. I have no idea how big name pet stores get away with the stuff they do. Maybe someday they will pass a law kinda like they did with the whole puppy mill thing.
And on the whole disposible pet thing. It is sad because people seem to get the pets that are cool and don't do the research about that they need then end up not wanting it after. Or parents getting kids cool pets. Kids like it for a while then the novlty of it wears off and the parents don't want to deal with it. And then it gets negected and put on cragslist. The cool pets that everyone neglects are living animals. They feel pain and hunger, and fear. People just don't seem to get that.

fisher28

I am so angry after a trip to Petco. They do not know how to properly care for the animals in thier store let alone give advice to others. Everytime I go in there I flip. The living condidtions for the animals... I just cant.

dragontamer13

Hatchling Member
I really feel bad for the 11 beardies crammed into a five gallon cage...plus countless other reptiles, birds,and even the mammals

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am in total agreement but most of what I have to say would not be professional so I usually don't comment.
The best thing is to continue to try & educate the pet stores as best we can. As for the breeders, to be honest, there isn't much that can be done because most of them are only in it for the money but not for the love & well being of the dragons.

Tracie

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Went in to Petsmart several weeks ago, 3 beardies, clean, they all looked healthy and active.

Went in today, 8 beardies, food and poop everywhere, they were all kinda stationary. 8... In less than 10 gal... I had to leave before I got more depressed or angry.. Plus I was with a friend and I didn't want to embarrass them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom