Hypo Citrus Leatherback Beardie for rehoming + entire setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawthorne

After much consideration I have decided to not rehome my beardie and keep him. It was a tough decision in the first place to rehome him since I was recently laid off and a bunch of other personal reasons but have realized it would just be way too hard to let him go.

pogvitt

Hatchling Member
Hi!

If you are having a tough time financially, there are definitely ways to cuts costs with your dragon without impacting his health. You can buy crickets bulk, I do this and it comes to 60-70% less than buying them in individual containers. Also, if you can find some roaches to start a colony that is a cheap way to go as well. In both cases, you don't need to buy expensive commercial gutload - just give them some wheat bran or whole wheat bread, and for roaches, a bit of cat food. Offer scraps of fruit and vegetables as a water source.

As for veterinary bills, I've found that a big cost with beardies is having parasite tests done and treating for parasites if necessary. I bought a microscope, slides, coverslips, and a reptile parasite identification manual for less than the cost of a visit to the vet. For a floatation medium I just use an epsom salt solution, and for a container I just use empty pill bottles (you can buy these for cheap at the pharmacy). The only other thing I needed was a scale, which I managed to pick up at a garage sale. Now, whenever I need to treat for parasites it costs me about $3 (cost of medication).

In essence, there are lots of ways you can save money with your beardie without impacting his health or happiness if times are tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom