Hydration with Baytril

Status
Not open for further replies.

oatmeal

Hello, all!

I haven't been on here in a long time as life has been super hectic, but I'm wondering:
My nearly 15yo beardie, Ryu, has been diagnosed with a respiratory infection for the first time ever :( She was prescribed baytril 25mg/ml 0.14ml for 14 days every 24hrs, and her weight is 354g. My concern is that I know baytril is very hard on the kidneys, and at her advanced age I really want to give her the best shot possible. I do have electrolyte powder that I got from Tracey's store a while ago (I'd have to find it, as I just moved and don't know where anything is), and I also have a bag of lactated ringer's solution.
I've done subcutaneous fluid injections on reptiles in the past, but my concern is that Ryu is SO spunky that this would be dangerous for her.
Does anyone have any recommendations for what I could give orally during antibiotic therapy to protect her kidneys?
Thanks in advance. The vet didn't mention fluid therapy at all (and I forgot to ask), but I'm still concerned :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear that Ryu has a respiratory infection at her age.
Actually, 25mg/kg is a pretty high dose. How bad is it?
I highly recommend fluid therapy at her age, so you can use the ringers solution you have, pedialyte or powdered gatorade watered down, or black cherry juice for fluid therapy.
Are you keeping her tank a little warmer overnight too, around 80, for boosting her immune system?
Almost 15 years is terrific!
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

oatmeal

Original Poster
Drache613":w3ily8yu said:
Hello,

Sorry to hear that Ryu has a respiratory infection at her age.
Actually, 25mg/kg is a pretty high dose. How bad is it?
I highly recommend fluid therapy at her age, so you can use the ringers solution you have, pedialyte or powdered gatorade watered down, or black cherry juice for fluid therapy.
Are you keeping her tank a little warmer overnight too, around 80, for boosting her immune system?
Almost 15 years is terrific!
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
Oh, I misspelled your name! I'm sorry! I think it's actually worked out to 5mg/kg and the liquid concentration is 25mg/ml (I doubled checked the dosage, as I'm not confident in our reptile vet in town). I don't think it's too bad, as she's still pretty active and responsive during the day. She just isn't eating, and is having typical RI symptoms periodically (gaping, heavy breathing).
Do you have any suggestions for fluid volume per day I could give her orally, and in what concentration? I've been mixing about half LRS and half tap water with critical care and syringe feeding her periodically, but only about 1ml a day of this mix (I'd been hoping to jump start her appetite, but no luck). I also gave her a dose a reptaid today as well (she's had it before, and I figure it couldn't hurt).
I'll turn the space heater on tonight and keep her at around 80. Thank you for getting back to me; I really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom