Hurricane protocols?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RachelG

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Frank Ocean
I live in San Antonio, and we are under a tropical storm warning with Hurricane Harvey on the way. We have set up our laundry room as a shelter, and of course, our precious Lenny will join us there, but it is looking like it may be for an extended amount of time, as the storm is expected to stall right over us.

We don't have room for the regular viv, and poor Lenny will be in her smaller travel viv for the duration. We have her travel light setup, but we do expect to be without power for at least a day or two. She will have food and water, of course, but if we lose power and I'm unable to provide proper basking temps, or UV, should I still feed regularly? Does anyone have any advice on how we can minimize the stress on Lenny? I have a colony of dubias and hundreds of BSFL, but I also have baby food squash I could give, if it would be easier on her system. Any tips would be appreciated!

Gtxollie1

If you are only out of power for 2 ish days, I wouldn't worry about the the uvb, the feed could be done on the first day and miss out on the second or you only feed her veg or the baby food as it is easily digested, just provide supplements with it. You could get a torch that gets hot as a basking bulb(not my greatest idea but could work). Get a bunch of hand warmers for heat. I hope this helps.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that a few days shouldn't be a problem without usual lighting. A 72hr hand warmer tucked under a blanket might make things comfortable but at this time of year it really shouldn't be necessary either. If you have a battery backup for a computer you could plug a basking light into that and have it run for a while in spurts to provide some basking time if you want. Otherwise a comfortable place to bunker down should be fine. Good luck! This storm looks to be a serious one even inland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom