Hunger Strike and Lazy Leg - What Gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxyrox

Hey all,

For the past few days Bub hasn't been eating anything. I can't seem to figure out whats wrong with him. When he lays down he also puts his legs straight back, but he's done that for some time now. I found him in his usual position and took some pics. Maybe you guys can see something I don't.

It's a 30 x 12 x 12 enclosure. He's 14" nose to tail tip. Tile ground, brick basking rock, 90watt bulb in metal housing, reptiSUN 10.0 (no reflector), feed him superworms collared greens and mustard greens. Sometimes i dust the superworms.

You can see him ignoring a superworm next to him.

I actually found this little guy at about 8" long. I dont know how old it is but I would guess 6 months.

Roxyrox

Original Poster
Twobeardieguy":c7b76 said:
Is he pooping ok and how does the urates look?

Poops fine but its small. Before it was like a friggin tree trunk falling out of him but now its just a small bit. Its almost stopped cause he hasn't eaten anything. I'm guessing its too young to go through brumation. Sure is lazy though. I bathe it at least once a week. Night time temp is 58 and above lately. It used to be 80 a few months ago. Basking is 115. Other side is 80ish.
He used to eat full bowls of greens and 10 to 15 supers a day. Now nothing. Refused supers meals and greens.

If it makes you feel any better, Jodie has just started to do the very same thing and the pictures are like a mirror of Jodie atm.

Shes been on hunger strike for 3 days, yesterday missed a poop, so booked into the vet. No chance of impaction tho as shes on tiles, temperatures with a digi probe are perfect. Nothing has changed really so im also at her loss.

Poop sample last time around came back okay, so another one has been sent.

I just thought i confort you in that im having the same problem. Does your's bask an awful lot?

John

I think 58 is a little cool for night temp. I've heard if it gets below 65 that you should add a heat lamp (doesn't give off light, just heat). Other than that, I'm not sure. Vet visit may be in order as s/he may have parasites or coccidia which can be picked up by a simple fecal test.

Oh, do you normally dust his/her food with calcium and/or vitamins? The lazy leg can sometimes be a symptom of calcium deficiency, which can be extremely serious, but is treatable.

After a vet visit, i was given some mineral/vit dust to put onto his live food, twice a week. The Calcum had to be increased to 5 times a week and my god a huge difference in the activity of Jodie.

So if your not giving him/her minerals/vit supplement (i suggest you do) and calcum increase and also with winter fast upon us here in the UK and in the States, ive now got extra heat in the form of a 25w white bulb to take the edge off.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverSelene
Top Bottom