Humidity in Cricket bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
This is only my 2nd order of crickets and my first order I didn't have this issue.. but for some reason the inside of the cricket container has drops of humidity on it.. I live in MA, and it is not warm by any means. I give them cricket gutload and cricket water gel. Even the egg crates and paper towel rolls I have in there are damp. Is this going to kill my crickets? I just put them out in the open instead of in the cubby under my cage..

Should I not feed them to my beardies??

Have I mentioned I hate crickets? What should I do?

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
crickets don't really need humidity, I keep my cricket bins as low as I can get the humidity. I know if the humidity is high, it makes the bins smell more. I don't use water crystals of any kind, I use baby carrots cut length wise as well as Flukers High-calcium cricket food. I found that with low humidity, I have less crickets deaths.

EDIT: I also have six 2" holes cut into the top of the bin.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
MrWhite":250totx6 said:
crickets don't really need humidity, I keep my cricket bins as low as I can get the humidity. I know if the humidity is high, it makes the bins smell more. I don't use water crystals of any kind, I use baby carrots cut length wise as well as Flukers High-calcium cricket food. I found that with low humidity, I have less crickets deaths.

EDIT: I also have six 2" holes cut into the top of the bin.

I know they don't need humidity, I'm not trying to create it. I don't know what is creating it. Like I said, it's not hot here, it's been in the 60's, I have water gel in there not crystals, so I don't know what is causing it.

Are the crickets still ok to feed beardies even if they are in this moist envoirnment?

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
I fed the first couple of batches of crickets that had humidity issues to Argos without issue. I don't think it's a problem at all.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
MrWhite":2un8iqep said:
I fed the first couple of batches of crickets that had humidity issues to Argos without issue. I don't think it's a problem at all.

ok.. Thanks! I put a dry papertowel in there and wiped down the sides of the bin to get the moisture off.. So hopefully they will live long enough to get fed off. I have about 500 and my dragons only eat a total of about 15 a day. Now they prefer dubia.

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
lauraj1055":32imbxht said:
MrWhite":32imbxht said:

ok.. Thanks! I put a dry papertowel in there and wiped down the sides of the bin to get the moisture off.. So hopefully they will live long enough to get fed off. I have about 500 and my dragons only eat a total of about 15 a day. Now they prefer dubia.

I usually get 1000 crickets every 2+ weeks. without moisture issues, my crickets last a lot longer and small less.

Argos usued to eat 50+ a day but he has really slowed down the last couple weeks. The spoiled brat will not chase crickets anymore, I have to feed him one at a time out of the plastic bag I dust them in :roll: He also has really got fond of supers. Lately he's only been eating about 20 crickets and 5 to 10 supers a day.

john2185

i had bad humidity build up in my cricket bin until i made the screen on the lid bigger cured the problem the first day hope this helps

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
john2185":p9ilmz34 said:
i had bad humidity build up in my cricket bin until i made the screen on the lid bigger cured the problem the first day hope this helps

I only have some small holes in the top of it.. so maybe I should put some more in...I will try that.. Thanks!

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Still there.. I have to remove all the egg crates and switch them out, and then clean out all the moist mess in the bottom.. but it's just a chore I don't feel like taking on at the moment! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom