HUGE enclosure issues-PLEASE HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitkat101

Juvie Member
Hi! I just recently got a bearded dragon for Christmas from my dad...I don't think they understood the real price of everything and the constant need of new things for my baby!
My dad bought the whole enclosure, and since I did some research for a while-like a whole year because I have been wanting one for so long-everything he put in it seemed super unsafe! This is what he had it in

-Sand
-5.0 Compact UV
-A black Critter 75watt bulb for basking
-Stick on thermometer
-Heating pad

I took out the sand immediately and replaced it with newspaper, I also took out the heating pad. When I asked for other things such as clamp lamps(the basking bulb was drilled into the glass causing it so shatter), I couldn't since it was too expensive. So I am stuck with a basking bulb that doesn't produce enough heat, UV that is a compact which I learned stops giving rays after 2 months or so, and a tank that is shattered at the top.

I feel like I don't think I have the money to take care of him but I just love him too much!! Is the UV compact dangerous??? Is there a way I can keep it without having to buy another one? Are there cheaper but safer things to buy for my tank??

PLEASE HELP!

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
If your dad saved the receipts from where he bought everything from, you can return or exchange it. If its petsmart i know they will let you exchange without a receipt. It happened to me when i first got my beardie and listened to the "reptile experts" who sold me everything wrong and they even let me return the sand. You can get the fixtures and basking bulbs from walmart for cheaper and i got my Repti sun tube at Petco for 30$ petsmart doesnt carry the reptisun tube, only compact. Your beardie will be okay with no uvb for a week, if you can get a new one by then. Who drilled the light into the tank? Lol

Have your dad talk to wherever he bought the supplies, explain the situation and that everything theysold him is unsafe and thry should help you :)

triumphtt

Juvie Member
Well he tried. lol Yeah the light being drilled into the tank is a new one on me. Like bdalton said just have your dad go back with you and explain things. Might help to go right to a manager. My sister-in-law is a manager at petsmart and she said if you did that it shouldn't be an issue. If your trying to replace the tank with a hole in it that might be an issue though. I don't know if you need a heat bulb but I get mine from Lowes. I use a UVB tube light and then just a spot bulb for heat. I recommend a GE Reveal Bulb for this because they use the full color spectrum. To keep cost down you could always look into the DIY section and make some of your own stuff. that could save some money. Also look into breeding feeders. Just some thoughts

Spikey07

Juvie Member
You really need to get a good UVB tube and a correct wattage spot bulb that gives gim a basking temperature of 100-110 degreese. To test the temperature accurately you will need a digital thermometer with a long wire and a probe at the end or a infa red temperature gun.

You can get a regular household spot bulb to create a nice warm basking spot.
You will need a digital thermometer to check you have the correct temps - without correct temps your beardie will not be able to digest his food or if its too hot he will become dehydrated quickly.
A good UVB is an absolute must, the Repti-SUN 10.0 tube is a good one, you can get the fixture for this bulb from a DIY store. The UVB bulb should be changed every 6 months. It should be mounted inside the tank, with no screen or plastic between the light and your beardie. And he should be able to get within 6-8" of the bulb.

kitkat101

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks so much for your guys help!! Yah...the tank was custom by some guy and my dad bought it from him...Hahahaa!

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
Looks like you are getting good advice!!! Did you get a new tank yet??? Everything will work out, it just takes time!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom