How to sanitize used enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonpuff

Hi all beardie-lovers! I just got a great deal on a 4ftx2ftx2ft wooden enclosure, that once housed a Boa. It is made of unfinished wood and I have no clue how to sanitize it for my beardie. Also, is it safe to put a stain and/or finish on the inside of the enclosure? My Puff is only 9 inches long right now, so I have time to spend on doing the job right...any suggestions?

Dragonpuff

Original Poster
Thanks! Do you think it's safe to stain and finish the exterior, or is that too risky, also?

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Is it particle board, or actual wood? If its actual wood, then use a 10% bleach solution and thoroughly wet the wood, and let it sit for 20 minutes. Then use several cycles of clean water to rinse. After that, you can use a non-toxic stain/sealer on the inside. Polycrylic is safe once cured (needs to air out for a few days), and Shellac is also very safe.

If its particle board, you won't want the liquid to sit for that long, so I suggest giving it a good wipe down, spraying on some bleach solution, and give it 5-10 minutes or so. If its starts to bubble up, dry it off. I would then put it in direct sunlight for a couple days...this should get it clean enough I would think. I would then seal it, to make future cleanings easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom