How to prepare vegetables and fruits for a bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
My dragon eats his greens very well he gets mustard greens, collard greens,dandelion,endive all in the same salad but I can't seem to get him to eat any of the fruits & veggies that I put into it like sweet bell peppers,strawberries green grapes,squash and many more. I have tried to cut everything really small but nope. Is it maybe because these are to wet that he can't pick them up? I'm thinking of slicing or grading them next. Does anyone have any ideas :)
Thanks

Heyimbrit

Juvie Member
I usually start by hand feeding mine. Try wiggling it in front of his face to get his attention and try to get him to try it. Once he recognizes it as food he'll probably be willing to eat it. My guys don't eat anything new unless I've practically made them eat it. So far mama's judgement hasn't failed them and they love everything I give them. Including the "Strawberry water" I have to give my male every day.

P.S. Strawberry water is just diluted medicine. I just don't call it medicine around him because then he won't take it as willingly.

P.P.S. They're smarter than we think.

Dakotahanna

Original Poster
I do try by hand. He goes to grab the food but it's like it's to slippery for him to pick it up. At first I though it was because I was cutting them to big but then I cut them smaller. He will try like 3 times to get say a piece of sweet pepper but then he gets mad and stops lol. If it's on some greens and it don't fall of by the time he eats it then he gets to eat it but other then that he won't put the effort into trying to long

Heyimbrit

Juvie Member
In that case, try helping him put it in his mouth when we goes to lick it. It takes a little bit of practice to get it just right.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Adults :
I grate the sweet potato and carrots, chop the raw green peas and raw green beans in food processor and I add buk choi coarsely chopped , quick blitz to combine - done and ready to go - I do in bulk and freeze in icecube maker trays and take out a cube each day to thaw and then give.
I also give coarsely torn up buk choi greens by hand as a treat.

babies:
see above only the buk choi and endive greens are torn to smaller bits sized to suit the size of the lizard.

I add fresh berries - blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, boysenberries, mulberries, and strawberries as I have them as treats (cut to thin slices or as is).
Apple is OK (small pieces) as are bits of banana (treats only - high P).

Refer to Beautifuldragons list for recommended veg and fruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom