How to mount Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They have the 36 inch and bigger wattage then the

It's 36 inches and 39 watt will that be ok? They are out of the 24 inch 22 watt. Just making sure it won't be too powerful since this tank is only 18 inches tall. If so I'll order it now.
Your tank is a 40 gallon? Let's ask CooperDragon not sure on that one
@CooperDragon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
a 36'' will be fine in a 48'' long enclosure. I have one and my enclosure is 36x18x18. Just set it along the front or back and toward the basking side in order to create some areas available with lower UVB.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It sounds like your uvb situation is under control. I think that the feet swelling suddenly is more of a sign of gout than MBD. Has a vet checked her out ? If so, what did they do ?

findingfallon

Original Poster
It sounds like your uvb situation is under control. I think that the feet swelling suddenly is more of a sign of gout than MBD. Has a vet checked her out ? If so, what did they do ?
I took her to the vet in December. He said she looked all good. She did have intestinal parasites also. My best friend is a veterinarian and works for him so I have just been sending her what's going on. The reptile veterinarian said he suspects mbd but I believe it's gout. She will not touch her vegetables. I even bought bee pollen for them. The veterinarian is an hour away and he's usually booked up weeks in advanced. I know last time this happened the swelling went down. I also have critical care on hand and have been mixing it in some water and syringe feeding it to her. I really wish she would just eat the veggies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I got your PM too so can get back with you there.
Were you able to get the Arcadia T5 tube ordered or are you still waiting for it to get back in stock?
Has she had marked swelling before? Has she had a blood test done? If so you can post the results on here so I can look over them.
I agree, sudden swelling will not be metabolic bone disease. Did she have swelling in December when you had taken her in?
Gout is the most likely issue, but if it is due to improper UVB or diet & not severe renal damage then it may be pseudogout which is
almost always reversible. You can be proactive & start her on a black or tart cherry juice extract, to begin helping her kidneys.
What gut load or foods do you feed insects prior to giving them to her? Do you use a dry feed?

Tracie

findingfallon

Original Poster
Hello,

I got your PM too so can get back with you there.
Were you able to get the Arcadia T5 tube ordered or are you still waiting for it to get back in stock?
Has she had marked swelling before? Has she had a blood test done? If so you can post the results on here so I can look over them.
I agree, sudden swelling will not be metabolic bone disease. Did she have swelling in December when you had taken her in?
Gout is the most likely issue, but if it is due to improper UVB or diet & not severe renal damage then it may be pseudogout which is
almost always reversible. You can be proactive & start her on a black or tart cherry juice extract, to begin helping her kidneys.
What gut load or foods do you feed insects prior to giving them to her? Do you use a dry feed?

Tracie
Hi Tracie

I've been giving roaches black soilder flies she loves super worms. I've tried dry feed she won't touch it and some wet feed also from petsmart I'm unsure the brand. I ordered the 36 inch light just waiting on it to ship. The swelling wasn't going on when I took her into the vet in December. This will be the second time she had swelling like this and after feeding some baby food and Cherry juice it went down last time. She will take baby food in a syringe. I have been gut loading with some green beans parsley kale. Is there anything else I can pick up that can help her? She eats a ton one day and the next day maybe will eat 2 roaches. I thought she was doing good for a while and then this once again. I'm hoping to have the light Here soon. I moved her lights and adjusted everything until it comes in and have her directly under the uvb now where she likes to lay on her hammock. It's a fleece one too since I think it was you that told me to get one instead of the other one i had. Oh and we didn't have a blood test done In December just her fecal. Probably because there was no swelling besides her front left foot that was swollen when we had bought her from petco.

findingfallon

Original Poster
a 36'' will be fine in a 48'' long enclosure. I have one and my enclosure is 36x18x18. Just set it along the front or back and toward the basking side in order to create some areas available with lower UVB.
Just got the light in and set up above the screen. How far away should the light be from the basking area? It's about 10 inches from her back at the moment and just trying to make sure that's an OK distance.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Just got the light in and set up above the screen. How far away should the light be from the basking area? It's about 10 inches from her back at the moment and just trying to make sure that's an OK distance.
On top of screen 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor piece

Lajjea

Please get a bowl of water on the basking side - your hygrometer could be off are you using a dial one if you are I recommend a digital probe one - here is a link for one pet smart might have one too you can look Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com'
Place the probe on the back center wall of the tank and it should read the whole tank - optimal humidity is 40-50% I dont let mine go below 19-20% or it never has gotten this high and you dont want it this high 70% - if your humidity is not getting to 19-20% then you can get a small humidifier place beside the tank - I have on running now between my two tanks - its keeping them in the 20% range now and at night they get to around 30's % -- the cherry juice is good but I would like AHBD and Drache613 to look at her and have them advise you further - Drache613 is our vet tech and she is usually on at nite - if your going to keep the T 5 on top of the screen please place a piece of decor directly under it 8-10 inches
Hi there! I’ve tried a bowl on the hot side with a table in between enclosures on max high & for example my humidity stayed at 17% all day until now with the lights off it went to 24%. I have a hygrometer embedded into the top of enclosures that showed 35% all day but it faces outside the tank so it could be reading my ambient room humidity because it also has a temp one which is never the same as what the Zoo Meds show inside the enclosures. My vet said optimal humidity is between 30-40 but he also told me that any distance is fine for UVB up to 24” as long as they can’t hurt themselves without asking what I was even using or screen hole size. He also said not to do a fecal for mine who hasn’t eaten on his own since last may since I’ve had him for over a year & don’t feed crickets so it’s definitely not parasites. I insisted on the fecal & he had pinworms! so even tho that vet is listed on that reptile vet site he don’t know much. He said it sounds like I know more than him on many issues so do what ever I feel best after I asked what should I do. He said that he will eat when he wants to eat, I’m probably just stressing him out by taking him out of the enclosure every day. That vet needs removed from the certified reptile vet listing. He is willing to look at reptiles but doesn’t know anything about them. Said temps should be 105 to 120 degrees 🙄🤬
Dreygo took Panacur or however it’s spelled two weeks apart, the last was this past Monday but there is no improvement. Gave him silk (non dairy) yogurt with his baby food for the two weeks but that hasn’t worked any miracles either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom