How to make T8 work in my T12 fixture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thacarter

I just purchased a new reptisun 10.0, 36" T8. My homemade cage is one like the crossfire enclosure that many people have. I had been using T12 bulbs and the new one is a T8 and will not work. I am not an electrician so I have no idea how to make it work. Any simple fixes? Thanks!

Jess

Extreme Poster
You need a smaller fixture. From my experience, the T8s just flicker in a T12 fixture. You can get a new 24" T8 fixture at Walmart for $9 though!

thacarter

Original Poster
Jess":ghjjg3dz said:
You need a smaller fixture. From my experience, the T8s just flicker in a T12 fixture. You can get a new 24" T8 fixture at Walmart for $9 though!

My new bulb is also 36" so that will not work, I thought I read somewhere that you can change the ballast instead of the whole fixture, but like I said, I am not an electrician or even close to one! Thanks though!

thacarter

Original Poster
I think that I need an electric ballast after doing some research. The ballast I have now is part # "EN 140 TP" if that means anything to anyone. I think that it is a magnetic ballast from typing it into google, but not positive.

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
to get a new ballast would cost more than buying a whole new fixture(if you can even find a replacement ballast). also, I'm not sure the t8 bulb will fit correctly in the t12 end sockets of you old fixture. The t12 bulb is a physically larger and probably has a wider pin pattern on the end of the bulb. My suggestion is to buy a new fixture and save yourself some hastle :wink:

FoothillBeardie

Hatchling Member
The t8 bulb will fit in the t12 ends. Just need a new ballast to make the t8 work correctly. You can find ballasts cheap at home depot. This is the easiest in my opinion. If your a little lost on the wiring just ask a lighting person at home depot they should get you going in the correct direction.

sdkid123

Hatchling Member
FoothillBeardie":2ivve2d2 said:
The t8 bulb will fit in the t12 ends. Just need a new ballast to make the t8 work correctly. You can find ballasts cheap at home depot. This is the easiest in my opinion. If your a little lost on the wiring just ask a lighting person at home depot they should get you going in the correct direction.
I would just get a t8 fixture you dont want to have a shortage or electrical problem that can lead to a fire in yor beardies tank!!! :|

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
sdkid123":2u08qexh said:
FoothillBeardie":2u08qexh said:
I would just get a t8 fixture you dont want to have a shortage or electrical problem that can lead to a fire in yor beardies tank!!! :|

Buying an electronic ballast separately costs a little fortune (magnetic ones are not ideal for beardies), while if you'd buy a fixture that has electronic ballast inside cost should be minimal, like 10 bucks.
For me there is no contest here, I would buy a fixture with elec. ballast, it's easier, cheaper and better for your beardie. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom