How To Make Do Temporarily??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ds072793

Ok....I'm one of those who jumped in an bought this really cute little beardie before knowing anything and just took what they told me at the pet store....I want to do this right but have now racked up over $200.....and need to know how we can make do for a little while until I can get more $$$!!!

Our beardie is approx 6-8inches long...don't know his age...have had him since Friday.....he's doing really well but after reading up on things here I am really worried....I went and bought a thermometer with probe last night and his basking spot is showing 105 degrees....haven't taken temp in other side of tank but will and anticipate it to be pretty good....I bought one of those Zilla combo lights....but after reading on here was worried about that and also spent $80 last night and got the Reptisun Fixture and bulb 5.0.....

He seems to be more active the last couple of days and is eating good...we give him live crickets....usually he eats 3 or 4....occas mealworms and always have fresh greens (collard,romaine)sprinkled with the juvenile food pellets that we have softened by soaking in water. We've been dusting 1 or 2 crickets a day with the vitamin stuff.

I guess my question is....is the Zilla combo light really working ok for this tank or should I switch to the Reptisun?? And if I switch....what do I do for a basking light??? There is only so much room on the top of a 10 gal tank! With the Zilla Combo...we turn the florescent light off at night and leave the halogen which looks like a dim purplish light and the heat in the basking spot (where he sleeps) goes down to 90-93degrees. Help!!!

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
I would switch to the repti-sun.. for a basking bulb, most people use a household light bulb or a floodlight (if you use a floodlight you can use a lower wattage).

Then night light you don't really need. Temps at night can go as low at 65. Also, these dragons are very sensitive to light, so they will be able to sleep better without that glow.

Are you able to return anything that you're no longer using the to store that you bought it? I did a lot of that at first.. buy and returning until I got everything right.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

ds072793

Original Poster
Well of course I opened the Zilla light combo thing as that is what we first got...the store we bought it from won't take things back after they've been opened. Did I mention this was a 10 gal tank??? I'm worried how I'm going to fit both the Reptisun fixture and another fixture on the top....all the single bulb things I've seen are pretty big in diameter!

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member

ds072793

Original Poster
Well....those are what I've seen too (yes I'm in Illinois)I think the Deep Dome would probably come closer to working as it seems to not be as big around.

And yes it does stink about the money....the Zilla Combo light cost me $80 too....but I'm trying to be positive by thinking that at least if something goes wrong with light/heat fixture...it could be used as a backup. Actually...right now the Zilla Combo light is working fine for him and he seems happy but I just don't know after reading stuff on here!!! Arrgh!!!

ds072793

Original Poster
I bought the Reptisun Terrarium Hood....I haven't opened it yet 'cause I'm at work and it was too late last night when we got back with it...I didn't want to try something new at night...I'll put it on this evening but it looks like it will take up half of the space across the top with little room for a basking light.....however...the guy at the pet store said I wouldn't need any other light...said this one would work for both heat and light. I'm trying to get that straight in my head....how does a tube light create a cool side and a warmer basking side....unless I put the wood so it goes up closer to the light for a basking area...but then I read on here the light should be 6-8 inches away!!! Then.....I look at a lot of the pics on here which show dome lights and no bar/hood/tube light....but many say to get the reptisun.....this is very confusing.............ARRRRRRRGH!!!!! :banghead:

Can you buy reptisun bulbs for the dome lamps like that on the stand?? I guess I just thought it was the long tube and I'd need a hood.....that might clear it up for me!!! :shock:

One piece of advice - we too jumped in a little too fast, and had to quickly replace/upgrade lights. Lots of times, if you can keep the box, even if it is slightly used they can be returned for store credit.... just worth a try. I got about $60 in store credit taking back bulbs that were hardly used my boyfriend was just going to get rid of them... Like I said it's worth a try!

viral013

Hatchling Member
You will probably need a new tank in about a month or he'll stop growing. I work at a pet store and have seen that misunderstanding way too many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom