how to make beardie calm down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reytamminen

Original Poster
gawd my beardie has SO much energy. he's been wanting to run around all the time, so i've been taking him out of his tank and he runs around the house/my room for about an hour or two and then he cools off and needs to warm back up again. is this because it's getting warmer out? i don't think its because his tank is too small, (hes in a 120 gallon / 4'x2'x2'), and hes got proper lighting. the only real changes that've happened are he's been eating more bugs than usual and its getting warmer outside. but he's jsut got this constant flow of energy and its cute but it's also annoying because i'll be trying to get work done and then he just starts making a ruckus because he wants to come out and run around. when he does come out, he runs all around my room and has fun climbing things and usually takes a dump. he's been having this "extra" energy for about 2 weeks now. the worst part is when hes in his tank wanting to come out and run around he makes a MESS. his salad gets all over the place from him running through it and some of his furniture gets knocked over or out of place.

hes a year old/almost 14 months, 24 inches/60 cm long, and 506 grams. hes in a 120 gal tank with a 160w heat lamp and a t5 10.0 24" reptisun uvb tube mounted inside of his tank. his diet consists of mustard greens, butternut & spaghetti squash, occasionally a bit of bell pepper or strawberries. bugs are bsfl and superworms at the moment but he has crickets coming in next week. gets food dusted w calcium & d3 every other day. the only "problem" with his diet is hes been not wanting to eat all of his veggies so he's been getting more bugs so he doesnt go hungry- like he has 3 or 4 bites/pieces of veggie and then only wants to eat bugs bc hes a picky little 💩. he poos every 1-3 days. he doesnt blackbeard/puff/headbob at all or display any usual signs of stress. he loves being handled/cuddles.

anyone know why hes so energetic or how i can make him less energetic?

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Does he get bugs every day? If so, you can probably cut back to every other day or so which will encourage him to eat his salad which should be fed every day. I've found offering the salad at least a couple of hours before the bugs helps too. Also, sometimes they just get hyper from seasonal and/or hormonal changes.

fcooper

Hatchling Member
Does he get bugs every day? If so, you can probably cut back to every other day or so which will encourage him to eat his salad which should be fed every day. I've found offering the salad at least a couple of hours before the bugs helps too. Also, sometimes they just get hyper from seasonal and/or hormonal changes.
For sake of ease and balance, we only feed our beardie insects on the weekends. The rest of the time, he is given veggies each morning. If he gets hungry, too bad, that's all there is to eat. They won't starve themselves. Stick to this and offer a few different veggie options (with some color to attract them) to learn what they like and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom