How to know they are eating enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpitFyre

Sub-Adult Member
Again- your vet will be able to tell you for sure. You DO have a vet, right? (because you dodged my last post.)

dracospike

Original Poster
Sorry I didn't mean to "dodge" your last post. I was in a state of panic and trying to comfort my grieving son(sadly death is something my son is way to famillar with as his father passed away almost 2 years ago). Yes we do have a vet(I also have 4 dogs so we are using our regular vet who also has experience with reptiles)

On a better note when picking up Spike to take him back to the pet store he moved ever so slightly. While rushing him back to the pet store I was putting water on his mouth and once at the pet store I requested water. The sales clerk got a syringe and gave him water. So he was severly dehydrated and if I had not picked him up when I did he probably would have died. He gave me a big scare. At this point he is doing great but I will be on full time watch for the next few days. Spike is way smaller than the rest of his siblings. I think he is going to need a lot of special care until he can catch up to Draco. I will do whatever it takes to get him big and strong so he can lead a long healthy life with our family!

Lenewen

Juvie Member
Keep syringing Spike water a few times a day for a while, babies dehydrate fast! I recommend the same for Draco. Beardies also almost never drink from their water dish, though they should have one available. Mine like to sit in theirs and soak the water up through their vent.

Hope the little guy is up to par soon!

dracospike

Original Poster
Spike is doing great and my son was very happy he was ok. He looks in on him all the time.

I have been syringing them water every other day. I tried everyday and they wouldn't take it. Every other seems to work great.

w0554096

Juvie Member
You can bathe them 3-4 times a week to keep them hydrated. Babies especially can dehydrate fast since their temperatures are quite high. Use a tupperware type container, and fill enough lukewarm water to come up to his shoulders, and let him soak for 15 minutes or so. They may not drink, but they absorb water through their vents, so they're still getting hydrated. I wouldn't reccomend having a water dish in their tank, as it will raise the humidity and can lead to upper respiratory infections. If they get regular baths they will stay plently hydrated.

dracospike

Original Poster
I will start giving them baths soon. At this point I feel better giving them it by syringe. Plus Spike loves it! I took the water bowls out awhile ago due to humidity concerns. I think I finally have things at a good place and am feeling so much more at ease.

Dragon4Me

Hi, I'm sorry for your loss, especially your son. It's possible that he was just not healthy when you bought him and it caught up with him. That's the tough thing about buying dragons (any reptile) from a pet store vs an experienced breeder. Don't give up, I've had mine about 2 1/2 months and have learned a lot and am really enjoying my little shoulder-riding buddy. Out of the pet store, books from the pet store and this website - you can trust this web site hands down. I read this site day after day for weeks before getting my beardie so I felt very comfortable in setting up my viv and pretty much what to expect. I learned how wrong the pet store workers are about their care - they are telling you what they read on care sheets provided by.....the company and more people who don't know. The books, if you check, are usually years old and outdated. Good luck with the other beardie, I hope your son enjoys him!
Jennifer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom