How to handle relocation stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taralachelle

Hatchling Member
Hey guys! I'm trying to figure out how to properly handle a new beardie and the whole relocation stress thing. He seems to hide a lot in his little cave, and he isn't really eating besides a few greens he surprisingly took from being hand fed today. He is slowly warming up to me and will climb up my arm and hangout on my shoulder but other times he seems completely freaked out by everything and has really dark stress lines. He black bearded me today and opened his mouth when I startled him and calmed down because I put food in his mouth right when he did that haha
I'm just wondering what some normal things to expect from relocation stress are; and what I should do to help him get used to his new environment
Any help is appreciated! I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing everything right since my last beardie passed away, I'm a bit paranoid.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
If he is a tiny dragon I would take the hide out so he is encouraged to bask; when I brought mine home I covered the front of tank with select-a-size paper towels. My tank only has a front panal that is clear and then i would tear away one panel a day until all panals were removed, that way she could peek through the removed sheet to see what was going on but still have privacy from the outside world. I would place my hand inside the tank and leave it there for a few minutes. Sometimes I would just open the cage lId so she would get used to movement around her cage. I would also just touch her under her chin or let her sit on my hand without taking her out. Took about a week. Your dragon will let you know how fast to go. If mine acted stressed I would add a panel of the paper towels back. I've attached a picture of my set up so you can see that only the front panel is clear.
83620-646157535.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He may be just a little more stressed because of the 2 day shipping. But I agree with Daisy, take the hide out and cover part of the front of the tank. I raised alot of babies and never kept a hide for the hatchlings. They soon realize you are no threat . What type of live food are you offering ?

Taralachelle

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'll take the hide out today
I'm offering him crickets and wax worms, but he hasn't touched either of them yet. I did get him to eat some greens yesterday though. But so far that's all he's had to eat

Should I feed him in a separate container or put the crickets in his habitat?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I think it's best to feed in the tank. Try this with the crickets....put a few in a jar with a lid , add a pinch of calcium powder and shake them until they are stunned + wobbling. Then just drop a few right near him. So rather than having crickets that can quickly run away they look more enticing to a timid beardie as the slowly stagger right near your dragon. Give that a try.

Do you have pics and a name ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom