How to get someone who hates snakes to warm up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rukii

Juvie Member
So me and my fiance recently brought a baby corn snake home. His mother immediately said "GET THAT THING OUT OF HERE RIGHT NOW. IT'S POISONOUS, IT SLITHERS, IT HAS NO EMOTIONS. IT'S A SIGN OF SATAN, ITS LEAVING NOW!" And his mother's boyfriend said he is going to cut it in half with a shovel if it is not out of the house by today. His mom keeps saying she won't sleep because shes afraid its going to bite her and get out and grow to be like 6 feet under her fridge or something and destroy the house or kill her. They are both over-dramatacizing the whole thing. Keep in mind, this snake is not even 10 inches long. Both of them absolutely ADORE our 4 bearded dragons though. How could we go about making them realize that this little guy is the size of an earthworm, non-venomous, docile, and actually pretty cute and fun? It's not like we go shoving the snake in their faces. He stays in the room with us all the time. His mom thinks I'm a reptile expert with how much info I spit out about dragons geckoes turtles and others, but she will not listen to a word I say about snakes. Anyone else have this problem?

My friend has a fear of snakes. I think that it's kinda sad that people have this fear, since reptiles are just like all other animals. Maybe you should email her a care guide or something. I really don't want the snake to die though.

Rukii

Juvie Member
Original Poster
it was an empty threat, he would never come near the snake. I would never allow it anyways. She seems to be alright with it, she just won't come to terms that he's as harmless as a worm, and she still wants him out. Maybe it will take her time to warm up to the idea, and to realize it wont eat her. :laughing6: It makes me so sad that people don't like reptiles too. They deserve just as much love as a dog or a cat. That contributes to me wanting to buy every reptile I see to give it a good home. It kills me when little kids are like "I WANT THAT ONE!" and the parents blindly buy it. You just know that poor creature will end up dead in a few weeks, or live a miserable life. :cry:

Munchkin

Rukii":uibrgo7p said:
So me and my fiance recently brought a baby corn snake home. His mother immediately said "GET THAT THING OUT OF HERE RIGHT NOW. IT'S POISONOUS, IT SLITHERS, IT HAS NO EMOTIONS. IT'S A SIGN OF SATAN, ITS LEAVING NOW!" And his mother's boyfriend said he is going to cut it in half with a shovel if it is not out of the house by today. His mom keeps saying she won't sleep because shes afraid its going to bite her and get out and grow to be like 6 feet under her fridge or something and destroy the house or kill her. They are both over-dramatacizing the whole thing. Keep in mind, this snake is not even 10 inches long. Both of them absolutely ADORE our 4 bearded dragons though. How could we go about making them realize that this little guy is the size of an earthworm, non-venomous, docile, and actually pretty cute and fun? It's not like we go shoving the snake in their faces. He stays in the room with us all the time. His mom thinks I'm a reptile expert with how much info I spit out about dragons geckoes turtles and others, but she will not listen to a word I say about snakes. Anyone else have this problem?

I have a very bad and highly annoying fear of snakes. I don't want to be afraid. I am a logical person and know that they are a reptile like any other but unfortuately my body does it's own thing when in the presence of a snake. I freeze, find it hard to breath, palpatations etc. I have tried to find ways to beat as I don't like having a phobia. (Spiders don't scare me, heights are fine.) It can cause problems as when I visit my local ( small ) reptile shop I have to walk as fast as I can passed all the snake tanks and straight to the counter. I stare straight ahead but have to stop about 3 feet from the counter as it is made of glass and has a rather large python in it. My 4 year old daughter loves the shop and she and my husband have a good look in each tank while I wait outside. I have done everything I can not to pass the phobia on to my daughter And so far, so good.

So while I have real sympathy for you as I would hate to have to give up any pet I bought, once you fall in love, they are one of your family, I can also appreciate your fiance's parents fear (although I wouldn't chop it up). In fact I discovered on a documentary recently that the fear of snakes may be hardwired into humans' brains. (obviously some more than others) Can't remember the documentary's name but this article supports that. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/29/tech/main3892530.shtml

I would suggest showing them how secure you can make the tank and agreeing to keep him(?) out of sight. If they are still petrified then I am not sure as I think I would move out if my husband brought one home (Ooops now he knows how to get rid of me ;) )

Good luck and congrats on your new addition.

Emma.

Rukii

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have shown them how secure it's on. 4 tank clips, and 2 heavy candles for their peace of mind. His mother stated plenty of times that she doesn't have a phobia, she just doesn't like them, and she said she wasn't afraid of them anymore. Well, I'm sure it will blow over. And that link is really interesting! Thanks! :mrgreen:

ValentinePirate

Sorry to say I don't have any advice. Unfortunately, my pythons live in a separate house because my step-mother can't stand snakes. Looking at pictures freaks her out. I'm glad it isn't a dangerous situation for the animal if they haven't come after the poor corn, but I don't think there's a way to help people who don't like snakes unless they're willing to be helped/learn. I hope his mom gets used to it enough to maybe try handling it someday though!

Rukii

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She has pretty much forgotten about Koa. Every once in a while she'll shout "IS THAT SNAKE STILL HERE?!" But that's about it. I guess I can't complain :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom