How to get beardie to eat more veggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I have an approximately 2 month old beardie who will eat nothing but crickets and zucchini (and will only eat the zucchini if I hand feed it to him :roll: ). I've offered him all kinds of different veggies and he will NOT eat anything but zucchini. Not even other types of squash.

Does anyone have any tips on getting him to eat more veggies? I figured if he wouldn't eat them, I could always feed them to the crickets that way he gets some of the nutrition.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
At two months old they will mostly crickets. STart leaving the plate of salad in their enclosure everyday just to get them use the sight and smell of fruits and veggies and if they are hungry they may nibble on it. Try to make it as colorful as you can to encourage to take a bite. Hope this helps! :wink:

dulceelizabeth

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice! About what age do they usually start eating more veggies? This is my husband and my first beardie, so we're always paranoid that we're doing something wrong :lol:

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I'm not exactly sure because I dont take note, but I just leave the veggies in the cage and one day she started eating them. It may take several weeks, may be longer, before you start noticing it eating salad. You'll just have to leave the salad in the cage for them everyday. Hope this helps!

I just leave a plate of salad in the cage for mine all day. IF it's hungry it may start eating it right away or may not depending on the bearded. MIne took to it right away. One of mine ate it as juveniles but gone off salad as adult for some reasons. Just leave it in the cage and if it's hungry it will eat it.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
What you can do is after the lights has turned on for at least an hour to give them a chance to warm up offer the salad first. Put in the cage and leave her alone. She may start nibbling on it when she if she is hungry and then offer crickets. After she is eating the salad you can feed her the crickets first before the salad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom