How to feed Dubia Colony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
Hey,
I've had my own Dubia Colony for going on 3months now. I started with 25females & 10males & thats it. Now I have a few hundred babies. But I notice they dont really eat the roach chow (dog food crushed up) & they dont drink the Water Gel. I would get a tiny container & cut the sides for they can just walk into the container. I would put Cut up apples next to the food container. Never looked like they would eat any of it. So I went out & bought baby carrots & would just start putting them inbetween the egg crates were they would hangout & thennnnnn they started eating them. But that becomes a pain in the ass to do. But they wont eat any other way. & there not getting any protein because there not eating any of there Roach chow. I leave veggies/Roach chow/Water crystals in there at all times & replace them when needed.
Could it be I just have a small colony so they all wont like rush the food when its in there? Or because I have food in there at all times so they just eat individually whenever there hungry? Or what?
I want to beable to put food & roach & water crystal containers in there bin & 2days later come back & see that they have been eating at it. But that not the case, they only eat the carrots & only if I put it in there hangout spots.
Any ideas??

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are eating, its just with such a small colony food is going to last forever. Wait until your colony starts getting bigger and you will wish they didn't eat as much lol.

-Brandon

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
lol alright. But when I put the baby carrots in the egg crates with them 2days later the carrots are pretty much fully eaten except a tiny part. When I put the baby carrots on a container near the roach chow, two days later they arent eaten as much and there barely touched.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thats always been the case with mine too. Any fruit or veggie will go faster than the chow. Fruits and vegies are a large percentage of water, so even if they eat the exact same amount of that as chow, the water evaporates out of it and makes it look smaller than it was at first.

Roaches are not picky eaters at all. If there is roach chow in the bin and nothing else, they will eat it.

Remember, its still mainly your adults that are eating the chow as the little babies like to eat the frass more than the chow it seems.

-Brandon

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yea I didnt think of that, So all honestly Im only feeding about 45roaches because I have 25females & 10males and rest are babies. Then maybe Ill put my colony back to how it was till its alot bigger then worry about them eating Roach chow & things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom