How to clean stains from Driftwood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
For all three of my Beardys, I use Driftwood in there tanks. And 1 of my Beardys Driftwood looks just like a Log.
Heres a picture of what it looks like http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3762330t300x300.jpg

& My beardys hangout on there Driftwood pretty much all day long its there favorite spots in each of there tanks. 1 of my Beardys are actually smart & wont go pee or poop where they hangout and will jump down and go on the carpet instead. But King, he kind of just lays down a nice big ole poop & pee right on the bottom of the Log. & I always pick it up I NEVER leave it in there like I see some people do sometimes. I always seem to be home & seem to know when there gonna go so its not like it sits there, so I pick it up right away, but sometimes to smushes into the Log, especially there pee. & then it crusts over alittle bit. If I grab a knife & scratch at it with it, it will start to chip off but I cant get it all off, & I want to clean & disinfect it for they dont get sick & for I dont get sick handling them.
So my question is, how can I clean my Driftwood for I can get pee and poop stains out? I'm looking for the easiest & cheapest way if there is one.

Adam Bailey

VerriKerri

Hatchling Member
You can wash it off with just regular water but make sure it is 100% dry before putting it back in. Some people clean theirs with a part bleach part water solution to clean their whole tanks but once again everything has to be dry before you put it back in. There's also a tank cleaner at petsmart that has a brush at the top that you could probably use to scrape some of the stuff off of it.

bobbycarp

Hatchling Member
Put the driftwood in water and see if it soaks it up and gets heavier. If it does don't use it. It takes a long time for moisture to come out of wood. It's like seasoning firewood. If not completely dry then whatever it absorbed will gas out as it dries.

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Once when I ordered roaches from WestCoastRoaches in the package they gave me two REPTISAFE packages. Its a instant Terraium Water Conditioner. You think I can use that to scrub the Driftwood? Problem is the Driftwood has lots of pieces that chip off and fall off, I need Vacume the pieces up once a week. So you think if maybe I grab a scraper or a knife and scrape what I can off of the stained areas, then use water and scrub the area it might clean it good enough? I just dont want King my beardy hanging out in a area that has pee stains because you know how Beardys are when they want to lick everything to see whats going on. He never eats any of the bark that falls off but I just want be safe.
I mean I dont know if you guys know exactly what I mean, when they pee how its alittle watery and you pick it up with tweezers and a napkin you sometimes still have the whiteness that stays where they went, almost looks like chawky paint. Thats what I want to get off the Driftwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom