How to avoid melting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuddyBeardie

So this is my setup. One thing I worry is the heat from the basking light melting the plastic sides of the tank and the overhead lamp. Seems pretty hot to the touch. Also, I don't think his basking spot on the branch is even hot enough. What do you guys suggest? Also, any way to make it look more appealing and clean?

Thanks!

IMG_7257 by Johnny.Spinelli, on Flickr

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I put foil over the plastic areas and that protects them pretty well from the heat of the basking lamp.

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
BuddyBeardie":130omu41 said:
So this is my setup. One thing I worry is the heat from the basking light melting the plastic sides of the tank and the overhead lamp. Seems pretty hot to the touch. Also, I don't think his basking spot on the branch is even hot enough. What do you guys suggest? Also, any way to make it look more appealing and clean?

Thanks!

IMG_7257 by Johnny.Spinelli, on Flickr

I would consider using a lamp stand instead of clamping it to the side of the cage - it can actually cause eye issues to have the light going sideways instead of vertical.

This article from Reptiles magazine has some great information mostly about UVB, but also some excellent tidbits about visible light.
"Like the sun, lamps should be overhead. Reptiles have eyebrow ridges, and some have upper eyelids, for a reason: They shade the surface of the eye. All light sources should always be directly above a reptile’s head, not to the side. Lights shining sideways into its eyes are stressful (think of driving a car toward the setting sun). Also, intense visible light, as well as UVA and UVB, can seriously damage eyes."

This is the link:
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Health/Habitats-Care/Reptile-Lighting-Information/

A lamp stand should help you keep the light oriented correctly without sitting directly on the top and potentially melting the sides of your cage. :) Hope that helps!

-Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom