How short is too short regarding nails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
My female dragon is very active in her tank. Because of this, she has worn her back nails down to pretty much nothing. She doesn't appear to be in any discomfort, and the nails appear to be in good condition, just very short. This is nothing new, ever since about 1yr she has been a glass dancing maniac. She is now a little over 2. I place soft towels in her viv, and let her roam outside for long periods, but she still dances.

Should I be concerened about her nails? Here is a pic...she is in a bit of a shed. Her left foot is more of the same.
IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

Pic of the viv for reference

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Yikes! Those do look terribly short to me. But the main indicator is the quick, the thick vein that runs down their nails. If she has worn them down too far, there will be plenty of blood.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
There is absolutely no bleeding. Also, her tiles are white, so even a small amount of blood from her nails would be visible. This strikes me as odd, considering how short her nails are. Anyways, to combat the issue I'll be covering most of her floor with towels, at least until her nails recover some.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Id switch to non sticky shelf liner. When my girls and one of my hormonal boys did that i added it to the top of the tile to alow the nails to grow back.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Freeie":aa18e said:
Id switch to non sticky shelf liner. When my girls and one of my hormonal boys did that i added it to the top of the tile to alow the nails to grow back.

I have actually tried some, and found it really difficult to clean, as it stained like crazy. Not to mention that stuff can outgas if placed under a heat source. The towels absorb the liquid, and after shaking any debris off I dump them in the wash. I actually have a large collection of hand towels dedicated to lizard use. As long as you wash them seperately, and make sure to use some bleach, they are clean and sanitized.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
I use it in all my vivs pretty much now.With basking temps from 102f to 108f and have never had any smell at all. It has to be the NON sticky type it feels like foam. And the secret to cleaning it is baby wipes :D It comes right off no stains. And it helps get rid of the smell.

Heres a pic of it. pay no mind to my crazy guy under it.
P1180077.jpg

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Freeie":35d9e said:
I use it in all my vivs pretty much now.With basking temps from 102f to 108f and have never had any smell at all. It has to be the NON sticky type it feels like foam. And the secret to cleaning it is baby wipes :D It comes right off no stains. And it helps get rid of the smell.

Heres a pic of it. pay no mind to my crazy guy under it.
P1180077.jpg

I used different stuff....wasn't nearly that thick. Cute beardie btw!!

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Its in the kitchen department it comes in a roll its nice and squishy. Costs about $4 to $5 a roll depending on the width you get. Comes in different patterns.Hes the reason we had to switch hes a hormonal mess he wore all of his nails down from pacing and trying to get out. So i put it at the front of his viv where he scratches. Wasnt in his viv a day and thats how we found him. He learned how to open his sliders and would escape so he could get to the girls. I learned the baby wipe trick by accident he went poo and the closest thing i had was my grandsons baby wipes so i use it and to my oooohhh and aaahhhhing it took everything off. And it smelled better after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom