How old can they be before going outside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my baby last weekend from Petco.....I know, I should say I rescued her from Petco. She is pretty small maybe 5-6 inches with tail, when is it safe to take her outside and how do I find a leash small enough to keep her safe if she runs.

Does anyone have an idea of how old she might be??

IMAG0267.jpg

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
The youngest age that I took my beardie out and about with me was about 4 months old. That was the age that they were when I brought them home. I just waited about 2 weeks or so till they got comfortable with their new home. I just make sure that everytime I take them out I make sure they have a harness and leash on. I get mine from Petco www.petco.com . They have every size that you need, but you might have to order it online to get the right size.

It's difficult to tell the age by the size of the beardie. The only way to know the correct age is by finding out by whoever breed them.

Your little one looks so cute laying there holding her branch :mrgreen:

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
Until she's big enough for a harness, you could always buy a small animal carrier (check out the ferret/rat sections at petstores - they often have nice little carriers). We use one to take Wave out for a walk most days. :) I also recently bought a small pet cage - waaaay too small, as far as I'm concerned, for anything to live in, but perfectly fine for my needs, and only cost about $15 - that we now use to take Wave out in the yard when we're going to be out. Lets her get as much natural light as a harness would, with no worries about her slipping away while she's still rather on the skinny side for her harness!

6511wave17.jpg

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
LOL...I think we have the same cage and I was going to suggest it. I am using the smallest hamster cage they carry and it works great. It is just big enough to put paper towels down and a small cave so they can survey their surroundings. They can get all the benefits of being outside in natural sunlight without worrying about birds getting too curious.

Shutensou

I usually just put my beardie outside with a leash on, throw a rock on the other end of the leash, and make a little hut once he gets too hot. And hes good. He loves it. To your question. In my opinion, I may be wrong, I think you can let them outside anytime, as long as you can have them secure with something so they don't run off.

Eotech556

I have had mine spend some time outside since we brought him home, around a month old.
We took him out with us today with the kids and went to the playground. He sat on my wife's hand a enjoyed the sun. He even basked with his mouth open for a bit

CHRISTLIKECHEF

Original Poster
How can you be sure he won't run off? I would be terrified.....but I admit I am a bit over protective, with my daughter, my dogs.......with everything, lol. :mrgreen:

sheri85

Juvie Member
i forget when i started taking Archer outside. but he's still pretty young and small, so i'm being a little daring in taking him out. i go for walks where i let him perch on my shoulder and usually he's really good about sitting still and not trying to get away, but i have a tote bag (made for small dogs lol) to put him in if he starts to get antsy. he's big enough now that he can fit in his small harness (after ordering it a month ago lol) so i can let him walk around now without being that over protective beardie mom (my boyfriend says i baby Archer too much).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kay.marie
Top Bottom