How often to feed and how much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenjiCutie

I have a 5 inch(ish) baby boy and am wondering how much and how often to feed him crickets. I've heard 3 times a day about 10 crickets. I've heard once a day with 5 crickets. I've also heard twice a week. So as you can see....I'm very confused. :( And Renji is a piggy. He can eat 12 crickets a day. >.> lol

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
the rule of thumb here is feed him as much as he'll eat in a 15 minute period 2 to 3 times a day. take out the unused crickets

RenjiCutie

Original Poster
MrWhite":1d7b5wi4 said:
the rule of thumb here is feed him as much as he'll eat in a 15 minute period 2 to 3 times a day. take out the unused crickets

He won't get too fat or his digestion won't get into trouble? Everyone keeps freaking out when they find out how much he is eating. >.> He is starting to eat his greens now, too, so that's good. So I just let him be a little glutton?

Hector33

This is something I've been having trouble with too. Sorry to jump on your topic, but I don't want to feed him too much, but then I think I should let him eat as much as he wants. Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks about it alot. :lol:

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
RenjiCutie":b7dxozwk said:
MrWhite":b7dxozwk said:

He won't get too fat or his digestion won't get into trouble? Everyone keeps freaking out when they find out how much he is eating. >.> He is starting to eat his greens now, too, so that's good. So I just let him be a little glutton?

he won't get too fat, beardies grow like weeds in their first year. When they are full, they will stop eating. I was worried at first also.

you won't have any digestive issues if you are feeding him the "right sized" (no larger than the space between his eyes) crickets and you have your basking spot and temperature correct. After my guy eats, he heads for his basking rock (which I keep at a temperature of 95f to 105f) and just flatten out like a pancake. The higher temperatures of the warm basking spot helps with digestion.

NFM07

Hatchling Member
Sorry to steal your thread but I did not want to make another thread since it goes along with what you are asking.

Along with the crickets 2 to 3 times a day can a salad with worms be offered for the time frame we are away? Since some days will be longer then other I dont want them to go without having something to eat but will it cause problems to have so much food?

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
NFM07":cqwub1s0 said:
Sorry to steal your thread but I did not want to make another thread since it goes along with what you are asking.

Along with the crickets 2 to 3 times a day can a salad with worms be offered for the time frame we are away? Since some days will be longer then other I don't want them to go without having something to eat but will it cause problems to have so much food?

yeah, that's fine. because I work during the day, I can only feed the twice a day. so here's my beardie routine:

- lights on 7:00am
- salad goes in about 8:00am
- feed crickets 8:30 - 8:45am as many as he'll eat, usually not a ton in the morning (10 or so), he's not a big eater in the morning and sometimes I leave a few in before heading to work.

home from work around 7:00pm
- play with the poor guy
- 7:30pm feed as many as he wants usually 30 to 40 crickets
- 9:00pm lights out

NOTE: salad stays in all day in case he wants to eat.

RenjiCutie

Original Poster
ok cool. That helps. I don't have a job at the moment so I can stay with him all day. I don't have a UVB/UVA light and lamp at the moment but have a heat light and take him out in the mid morning for some sun and to eat. He can easily down 12+ crickets per feeding and I try to feed him twice a day but he likes to beg for a 3rd and 4th feeding. >.> I keep salad in at all times (although he doesn't eat it. -_-) and I have a pool in there for him that I keep fresh water in because he loves to swim. Not sure what temp the basking area is but if he runs to the other side of the tank I turn the light out until he goes back to his log then I turn it on again. He is in a 10 gallon tank until I can set up his 30 gallon on monday or tuesday. >.>

And I don't mind people asking questions on my thread. :) That's what it's here for. ^.^

techdave

Juvie Member
I don't have a UVB/UVA light and lamp at the moment

I'm sure you have it in your plans but I just want to emphasize how critical it is for them to have uvb light. A couple days without will be fine but long term lack of exposure can cause lethargy, lack of appetite and a bunch of other health related issues.

RenjiCutie

Original Poster
Yes it is in my plans. :) Thank you. I may be getting it next week sometime. Not sure but I will be getting it asap. At the moment I take him out for as long as I can to be in natural sun light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom