How often do Juvenile Beardies drink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I'm sorry to post so many questions here, but there are so many things that cause me worry!

Merlin was dehydrated a few weeks ago. I took him to the vet because he wasn't eating and was told that this dehydration is likely why. I've gone through the paces to rehydrate the little guy and he is doing much better now!

I'm still paranoid about it, however. How often do they normally drink to stay hydrated? I've never seen him drink from his water dish, although I've showed it to him half a dozen times. I give him a bath once a day and spray him 2-3 times for good measure. He drinks in the bath a few times a week. Is this enough to keep him hydrated? He's only a few (2-3) months old.

Thanks a million

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
I know you posted a while ago, but most beardies never drink out of a dish. In the wild, standing water = stagnant/unhealthy water usually. As long as you are bathing every day or so, he is plenty hydrated. Also, take out the water dish and stop misting, as they just raise humidity. Misting doesn't help with hydration, as beardies don't absorb water through their skin - just orally or through the vent.

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
As an addendum to that:

I don't mist at all (just the daily baths and fresh veggies they get is enough to keep them hydrated).

But if you do want to mist, instead of spaying it on them directly, get a set of the plastic or silk
plants that can hang down from a corner of the tank and mist that.

In the wild, beardies lick the dew from plant leaves and some will drink that way if given the opportunity.

emleebee

I guess that I have the dragon that's the exception...Tia definitely drinks from a water dish! She's getting used to baths but doesn't seem to ever drink in it, but will drink from a dish. When I tried taking the water dish out she will stand where it used to be and scratch at the ground. I just put it in the farthest corner from the lights and the humidity has been okay.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Yea, some dragons do drink. Bathing isn't about drinking though. It's about absorbing water, so they are still very valuable. If your dragon drinks, it is fine to have a water bowl as long as humidity stays under control :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom